Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
CowgirlMama0508
Opinions...
March 7, 2013 at 8:04 AM
A couple weeks ago I posted about pulling my kiddos out of PS mid year (for the life of me, I can't find that post) anyways...we have decided to pull them out next Thursday (right before spring break)

My question is this- I plan on deschooling and letting them just explore. I'm scared they will I guess forget what they've learned since we won't start with any curriculum until August. I'm afraid that when we start in the fall, it will all be like foreign language to them (they are 7&4 now)
Is this a normal fear and is it something I should be really worried about?

Replies

• AutymsMommy
    March 7, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Deschooling isn't something I would personally be comfortable with. I do believe it can work - for the right children. My children? No.

If I were in your position (and I was, lol; I pulled my daughter out a few years ago in the spring of her fourth grade year), I would do "lite" school - reading, writing, math, until the fall.

• haskins46563
    March 7, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Deschooling to me isn't no school at all. It's reading books, and talking about a lot of topics. I couldn't honestly tell you what my kids were working on prior to taking them out of public school past what their reading abilities were and about where they were in math.  

I would make sure they were still reading/being read to from a lot of library books and then work on math through online sources which there a ton of games, worksheets, etc online.  Math is a use it or lose it around here for young kids, so I'd start looking for a math curriculum first.  

Also, I have found with this last year of homeschooling for the first time, not everything has to fit into a neat little box.  There isn't a magic day on the calendar that you have to crack open a book for the first time (in the fall) and another magic day to finish.  We start new books when the kids are to that point.  They both finished their math programs last month, so they started on the next "grade" level.  We also just started a new history curriculum last month.  I do already know we will school year round. We take days off all year when we need it.  I tried to take a couple weeks off for Christmas break and my kids were so bored they actually asked to do school (impressive for e first and third grader who love to play). 

Youll find a rhythm that works for you, but as for deschooling, I'd use it as a tool to show them that school isn't sitting in a chair for 7 hours a day.  It can be fun, reading books THEY want to read, learning about topics that interest them with minimal seat work (1-2 hours a day at that age, but you don't have to do this right away!)

• Jinx-Troublex3
    March 7, 2013 at 8:58 AM
    What the other ladies said..

Deschooling isn't no school but its a different way of doing school.

More relaxed, more videos, more child-led learning.
  • bluerooffarm
    March 7, 2013 at 9:23 AM

We aren't doing a curriculum right now, but we are still "doing school" every single day.  Other than phonics which is non-negotiable, the boys are doing whatever they want.  They read whatever books they want and learn whatever science they want.  Our only "rule" is that there are no non-educational movies or games from 7:30-1:30.  So they find educational things to do and I use what they do to help me decide what they will like to do next year.

Right now, Levi is playing eggy words (sight words game), Xavier is playing with dominoes to make numbers (addition /subtraction families, multiplication and division), and Quentin is rolling dice and counting all the dots.  They pick up books and ask for me to read them or read themselves, from those I pick topics they'll want to cover more in depth next year. 

Deschooling is just allowing them to explore topics in a much less stressful environment.

• Joann.HS
    March 7, 2013 at 9:30 AM
    You'll find what feels natural to you and the kiddos. Lots of good advice.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    March 7, 2013 at 9:40 AM
    The only thing I always keep up is Math. You can do that through games. 8) just try to make your house as educational as possible. Put out lots of books and art supplies.
  • CowgirlMama0508
    March 7, 2013 at 11:13 AM
    I knew deschooling wasn't no school at all, just didn't know what to do to keep them from just forgetting everything they've learned, without going from a classroom at ps to the kitchen table doing the same thing lol

We are really wanting to do year round, maybe we could go ahead and start what we bought for the fall.

Thanks for the advice :)
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    March 7, 2013 at 1:31 PM

They won't forget it any more then they would from a full summer break. What have you done in the past for summer stuff to keep them sharp? Do that!

• gratefulgal
    March 7, 2013 at 1:55 PM

You're right-- you can definitely start now! :) That might give you a little more time to get into the swing of things, and work out the kinks and schedule, etc. It takes some time to get used to new curriculum, or to switch if you don't like the curriculum, etc. That way you won't feel so pressured to make things work August to May, etc, and won't get so flustered if the pieces don't fall right into place. PLUS, you're kids won't get used to not doing "paper schoolwork" (a term coined by my 5 year old). I'd say go for it! Good luck, and glad to have you!

Quoting CowgirlMama0508:

I knew deschooling wasn't no school at all, just didn't know what to do to keep them from just forgetting everything they've learned, without going from a classroom at ps to the kitchen table doing the same thing lol

We are really wanting to do year round, maybe we could go ahead and start what we bought for the fall.

Thanks for the advice :)

• blueyedbaker
    March 7, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Where I live you would have to submit a curriculum you would use to finish out the year no matter what. But if you don't have to do that. I suggest to take it easy but still do the main subjects like Math, and Writing even Science.  Print off some Math worksheets, get a pad of paper for a journal. Keep it up through the summer too. You can get work books online or at Barns and Noble that will work perfect.  No matter what you will probably have to go over last years work, refresh them on what they have already learned and to see where they are at.

http://msnucleus.org   for Science

http://www.superkids.com/aweb/tools/math  To make Math work sheets

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts