Homeschooling Moms

ballerina.2006
A roundabout compliment
March 6, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Dh's gma called last night. I was supposed to take her to a dr appt (I've taken her the last two weeks. She had another ride last minute yesterday). Anyways, she called to tell dh about her appt. There were two children in the waiting room about my children's ages (7/4). Gma said they were some of the worst behaved kids she's seen in public. They were running, jumping on the furniture, loud, obnoxious, etc. This is a heart dr/imaging/cardiology office place so a lot of frail older people.

Two weeks ago my kids went with gma into the appt while I took care of other medical stuff in a different office. I was told the asked questions beyond their ages and the normal comprehension for small kids. Yesterday, gma was told my kids are welcome in the office at any time because of how smart and polite they are!

Dh didn't completely understand this until I explained that most homeschooler recieve a far better education and went into details about some things locally that prove that. I'm just very excited that my kids are showing how smart they are despite our extremely rocky first two years of homeschool.

What kind of praise have you recieved about homeschooling?

Replies

• debramommyof4
    March 6, 2013 at 12:46 PM

That is awesome.

• romacox
    by romacox
    March 6, 2013 at 1:57 PM

way to go

• almondpigeon
    March 6, 2013 at 2:52 PM

that's awesome.  i haven't really gotten any compliments, but my mom did tell me once that the kids "act normal"....i think she was afraid we would all turn in to giant weirdos once we started homeschooling.

off topic....are you southern?  you use "smart" the same way i would.  most other people use "smart" to mean smart alec.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    March 6, 2013 at 2:54 PM

That's great that your family is acknowledging that your kids are intelligent & socially better then PS kids.

Most people are surprised about what subjects my kids are willing to talk about & that they are comfortable speaking with adults.

• coala
    by coala
    March 6, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I had a parent of a child that we skate with compliment my youngest.  He said that he didn't realize how bright she was until they had a conversation.  She spoke clearly and used "large" words (his description not mine) that his 5 doesn't know.  LOL

• ballerina.2006
    March 6, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I am not from the south. I'm from Alaska

Quoting almondpigeon:

that's awesome.  i haven't really gotten any compliments, but my mom did tell me once that the kids "act normal"....i think she was afraid we would all turn in to giant weirdos once we started homeschooling.

off topic....are you southern?  you use "smart" the same way i would.  most other people use "smart" to mean smart alec.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    March 6, 2013 at 5:09 PM

good work ballerina!!!

• energygirl
    March 6, 2013 at 5:18 PM

that is nice!  I bet it is encouraging to get a compliment from a family member!  (Our families think we are nuts so.....lol).  I did get a compliment from a youth leader at church when my 4 year old raised his hand to volunteer to pray...and then prayed on topic.  They were packing shoe boxes for Christmas.  We had done a lesson on it at home...so I know he understood what it was all about...but the teacher couldn't believe it. 

Homeschooling Moms