Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Dawn07
Cursive writing
by Dawn07
March 6, 2013 at 11:48 AM
I was going to introduce it in 3rd grade, but have been thinking about introducing it in the middle of 2nd grade. I was waiting till 3rd to make sure she was doing well with her manuscript. I think she could use a bit more practice but not all of 2nd grade. Thoughts?
If you are or have done cursive when did you introduce it?

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    March 6, 2013 at 11:53 AM

When my oldest son asked (middle of 2nd grade) I started adding a few worksheets at a time.  He can now sign his name pretty well and he is reading italics and cursive much better now!  Here's a great website for practice worksheets...

http://www.handwritingworksheets.com/flash/cursive/multiword/

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    March 6, 2013 at 11:58 AM

good idea! start now!

we started cursive from the beginning,(when the kids were ready to learn it some 4,5,) we used an italic method, cursive is much more easier for some than printing!

• .Lovemythree.
    March 6, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I'm thinking about doing it next year for both of mine, they will be in 2nd and 1st.  

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    March 6, 2013 at 12:17 PM
    I'm using a reason for handwriting and I have their second book written down to order, but if I decide to introduce cursive ill need to get their transition book instead. Good thing I didn't order her language arts yet lol.
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    March 6, 2013 at 12:19 PM
    You can always try & if you think it is to soon wait a little & then reintroduce it later.
  • GELiz
    by GELiz
    March 6, 2013 at 12:43 PM

We introduced it in end of second grade and then mastered it in third. However, when your child is doing quite well with her printing, then you can begin with cursive. Just go slowly and let it be fun.

• Leissaintexas
    March 6, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Our grandparents were taught cursive first. Some were never even taught printing at all. Looking back, I wish I had done cursive first. My 5th gr ds has horrible handwriting and cursive would have been so much easier for him had I done it when he was little.

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    March 6, 2013 at 3:10 PM
    I think I'll go ahead and try to introduce it for 2nd and see how we'll do. Thank you ladies for your input.
  • DesireMM
    March 6, 2013 at 3:39 PM

I introduced cursive to my son in 3rd grade. He was having such a problem with it that we had to bump it to 4th grade.

• coala
    by coala
    March 6, 2013 at 3:42 PM

My oldest started in K and my youngest started in K4 and is doing very well with it.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts