Homeschooling Moms

oldweeza
Should a Journal Be Private ?
March 6, 2013 at 8:29 AM

New to homeschooling, less than a month, and up until today I tried to similate a classroom. Boring.. But the good thing is I have started to discover what my 10 year old likes and what he doesn't like. For now we are foregoing the text book routine, except math, and we are going to read and explore and watch videos. History channel is awesome !

Well with that being said, I still feel like he needs to practice writing, and learn new vocabulary so I thought we would both start journaling. What can I do to encourage him to write in his journal ? Every day? a Few Times a Week ? And what about me being able to read what he has written ? He is 10, and even though drawing pictures and making up songs is awesome, I don't want his journal to be all about just that.

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas please. Thanks

Replies

• SusanTheWriter
    March 6, 2013 at 8:41 AM

A school journal is about writing skill. It's not a personal journal. While he might have one of those in addition to his school journal, that's his choice.

But a school journal is a little more structured with prompts, questions to answer, drawings, etc. I suggest NOT going with "whatever you want to write." Most kids get overwhelmed and can't decide what to do when faced with a blank page. Prompts help them get started.

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    March 6, 2013 at 10:34 AM
    I agree with the above. My dd has a school journal and a personal one. Though she wants me to read both right now, she is 7. Lol
  • bluerooffarm
    March 6, 2013 at 11:00 AM

My boys have a school journal and a private one as well.  The private one is actually a drawing book for my 5yo.  So I agree with the others, you should definately read the school one and leave his private one alone.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    March 6, 2013 at 12:29 PM
    If it is a school journal then you reading it is expected.
  • .Lovemythree.
    March 6, 2013 at 1:55 PM
    I agree.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

A school journal is about writing skill. It's not a personal journal. While he might have one of those in addition to his school journal, that's his choice.

But a school journal is a little more structured with prompts, questions to answer, drawings, etc. I suggest NOT going with "whatever you want to write." Most kids get overwhelmed and can't decide what to do when faced with a blank page. Prompts help them get started.

• ablessedlife
    March 6, 2013 at 2:06 PM
    If you're not going to read it there is no point.
    Make it interactive. Write something in response to what he has written. This will make it a special keepsake for him. Give him prompts that spark his interest and let him include drawings. But this is a writing journal, not a drawing journal, so perhsps only allow short sketches. Don't correct his writing in the journal! Take notes on what he needs to improve and find another way to teach those things.
  • ambcortez
    March 6, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I've been having DS (he's 6) write letters to his grandparents every week. It's been helping him with handwriting and forming sentences and correctly punctuating. I want to be done with text books too! Is that possible? How do you teach things without a book though? This is my first year and we're using Abeka (which I hate). 

• oldweeza
    March 6, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Thanks for all the responses, this weekend I will be buying him two journals.

Ambcortez, we use abeka also because that is what his school was using when we left. I don't hate it, but

after using for a month, I realized that I can find the same info in many more resources. So for now I sort of use them as a guide if I am feeling lost. It's funny I really started with unschooling today, and my 10 year old says to me this afternoon, "hey I don't want to talk about math it's not still schol time". We have a lot of unlearning to do..

• mommytobooger
    March 7, 2013 at 9:52 AM
    My son does a school journal, a private journal, a drawing journal, and we have just started a mommy and me journal, which I love! We basically just write back and forth to each other about anything, he loves to write me jokes in the journal. This helps his writing skills plus it's a nice thing to save for memories. :)
  • TigerofMu
    March 7, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I use their journals as an opportunity to ask questions and have conversations.

Homeschooling Moms