Homeschooling Moms

weberbaby
How to teach reading?
March 6, 2013 at 12:06 AM

My daughter is 5 (bday last week) and can spell basic words.  I think it's mostly from having them memorized.  We work on sounding out letters and putting them together but I feel like I could be doing more.  She loves books, we've read daily since she was an infant (I love books too!) and I know she wants to learn to read on her own.  I'm just stuck on where to begin.  What advice can you give me on teaching her to read?

Replies

• BramblePatch
    March 6, 2013 at 12:19 AM
    I am a firm believer in starting with a phonics curriculum. There are many out there and not every curriculum fits every kiddo. My son, now 5, did great with Explode the Code and BOB Books to start and has eased into Adventures in Phonics B from CLP. My 4 year old is doing Adventures in Phonics A and is reading some three and four letter words now. Just take a look at what is out there....a great resource, with samples, is Christian Book Distributors (and they have non-religious curtuculum, too.)
  • Jinx-Troublex3
    March 6, 2013 at 1:52 AM
    We started with leapfrog letter factory and word factory,a phonics workbook from the 99c store, and BOB books.
  • romacox
    by romacox
    March 6, 2013 at 7:14 AM

My children are now grown, but I am still  a tutor and home school workshop leader specializing in helping children learn to read.  Because my method is so successful, three professors at the University of North Florida are now asking me to come to their classes to teach my method to their students.  . 

A fun and very easy way to teach children to read is the board game, Ring Around The Phonics (levels I, II and III).  It has everything you need to teach reading (14 early reader books included). But the static cling letter cards make it flexible enough so that  it is also used to teach blending, comprehension, communication  and listening skills (activity and question cards)spelling, vocabulary, some foreign languages and more (4 years old through 6Th grade).

There are an increasing number of children who are slow readers, or have trouble reading. The following free web page  allows you to hear the phonic sounds free.  That is important, because many children learn to pronounce some of the phonic sounds incorrectly (very common with computer games) causing them to have difficulty blending the sounds to form words.  Hear Phonic Sounds Free. 

Many children cry if I tell them we aren't playing the game today.  They particularly love the activity and communication cards, and crowning their character with the blue and gold ring of knowledge. 

• energygirl
    March 6, 2013 at 9:59 AM

our library has a huge section of Bob books, and others (and are labeled as "short vowel sounds" etc.)

• energygirl
    March 6, 2013 at 10:01 AM

There are also some leap frog dvds (letter factory for alphabet...has my 3 year old learning...and she knew most of it when she was 2) and they have a word factory one as well that is good for kids just learning to sound sound out some words.  Not that I want my kids to learn it all from a tv...but it is an entertaining way to occupy (and teach) your younger kids while the others do school  My 3 and 4 year olds watch the movies a couple of times a week

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    March 6, 2013 at 10:34 AM

another idea that i did is 'a homestart in reading' great little book to get you started, i taught all mine and a few more with it, its easy, starts out easy and no added extra curr.  its by ruth beechick, also if you have one of those ipads look into some kids aps, theres some really good phonics ones for just a couple dollars and kids sure love working on the ipad!  oh i cant forget  starfall.com good place to get them started!

• babygrl92795
    March 6, 2013 at 11:55 AM

We are using the book "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons."  So far, so good. ;)

• bluerooffarm
    March 6, 2013 at 12:10 PM

We like to use the Hooked on Phonics system because it incorporates dolch sight words as well as the phonics methods.  It has fun little cartoons and HOP books that my kids like reading.  It helps build words, gives attack methods like chunking, etc.

We also like to play games that build the skills (appleletters, pairs in pears, banangrams, and upwords). 

• weberbaby
    March 6, 2013 at 12:38 PM
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I will look into each of them.
  • GELiz
    by GELiz
    March 6, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Start with the sounds each of the letters make and begin with little words like cat fat rat and help her blend the sounds left to right.

Homeschooling Moms