Homeschooling Moms

mommy4lyf
Does anyone here use a private tutor in homeschooling a child with autism?
March 5, 2013 at 7:14 PM

I am thinking of hiring a tutor twice a week to help me out. Is this a good idea? 

Replies

• Jinx-Troublex3
    March 5, 2013 at 8:10 PM
    It may be...really depends on your child and your intent.

I do respite/ tutoring for a boy with autism and it is helping his reading and giving mom a break. He is a triplet so mom can deal with the others easier two times a week.Though he is in public school.
  • mommy4lyf
    March 5, 2013 at 10:04 PM

My son is in public school right now but I will homeschool him when he starts MIddle School. My purpose for this is to get help from a professional and I will just review him. I am thinking of 2-3 times a week. I am new to this so, once my son got settled to his new schedule I can reduce the tutoring down to once a week.

• GELiz
    by GELiz
    March 5, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I am a private tutor for any child.

• Rust.n.Gears
    March 5, 2013 at 11:19 PM

That really depends on your child. My son has autism and he is doing well with homeschooling. I feel that you have to do is right for each child. The best thing is to follow your instincts. If it doesn't work then just change it. That is one of the beautiful things about homeschooling.

• irvinehiker
    March 5, 2013 at 11:31 PM

I hs my son with autism and also use a private tutor.  The tutoring is not for acedemics however it is to help him with social situations.  She takes him out to various places in the community and teaches him coping mechanisms to deal with stressfull situations.  

• mommy4lyf
    March 5, 2013 at 11:53 PM

BUMP!

• mommy4lyf
    March 5, 2013 at 11:55 PM

That is one of my reason but since I never tried it yet, I am a little worried. Looks like some of you tried it and seems to work out. Thank you all for the advice. It helps a lot since I am new to this. 

• QueenCreole313
    March 6, 2013 at 6:38 AM

I think it would be a great idea! (Aspie mom here) But I think finding the right fit (someone familiar with Autism and the patience) is the key. Also, talk to your son about it first so he has the time to adjust to a new person with a different teaching style. But, from one-on-one tutoring is awesome for any kid! 

• mommy4lyf
    March 6, 2013 at 12:08 PM

You are right! The "right one" is what I will look for.

Homeschooling Moms