Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
amandae21
Homesteading Co-op Class ideas??
March 4, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I'm throwing ideas around for the Fall semester of co-op. I know it sounds waaay too soon to start thinking about that, but we start compiling our list of classes in a couple of months.

Homesteading is about self-sufficiency... gardening, preserving, raising animals, bartering, making things etc.

We have 10 weeks and they're from September to November... so gardening is limited to window stuff that does well in the Winter. I'm not sure exactly what will grow in these conditions but I'm sure something will.

Here are some ideas...

Growing something in a window

Making jelly/jam/preserves

Canning veggies

Raising chickens (we have a few families with chickens)

Making candles

Baking fresh bread

Have any ideas to share??

ETA the class is for 6th and up kids.

Replies

• tiredmomfor2
    March 5, 2013 at 10:19 AM
    I would assume so. :) i have grown it in pots before. It prefers cooler temps and a lot of hot sun burns it.
    You could also try spinach and any root vegetables..carrots, radishes, turnips etc. :)

Quoting amandae21:

Would it grow in a window? And in something like a cut open gallon jug? I saw a pin where someone grew carrots in a 2L bottle but it was early Spring.

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

I bet you could grow lettuce this fall. Provided it is protected from frost.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    March 5, 2013 at 10:27 AM

those vegetables will grow in pots, just give them lots of light and big enough pots depending on the size of vegetables your gona grow! and like lyndsy says cool temp

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

I would assume so. :) i have grown it in pots before. It prefers cooler temps and a lot of hot sun burns it.
    You could also try spinach and any root vegetables..carrots, radishes, turnips etc. :)

Quoting amandae21:

Would it grow in a window? And in something like a cut open gallon jug? I saw a pin where someone grew carrots in a 2L bottle but it was early Spring.

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

I bet you could grow lettuce this fall. Provided it is protected from frost.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts