Homeschooling Moms

Channell07
Roadschooling & NYC
March 3, 2013 at 8:57 PM
First has anyone schooled on the road? Any tips for me. We are likely going to be in about a 31ish foot camper (we are looking to buy once DH gets called out to work). Second, DH is thinking it is going to be likely his first job will be in NYC. We will be staying in Jersey for better rates I would say. Does anyone know of any campgrounds he can take the train to work from?(i don't know how likely this is... We may end up in a hotel/apt). Also, I have been to NYC twice last year and really love it but I am trying to come up with some great things to take the kids to. They will be 4 and 5. All of the normal things (Top of the rock, Natural History museum, statue of liberty, etc) are on the list. I am from a tiny town and never felt unsafe when I was there before. Once with DH and the other time with 3 other women but I am a tad nervous about exploring the city with just the kids. We will most likely spend all of our time in Manhattan. Any tips??

Replies

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    March 4, 2013 at 9:54 AM

i have no ideas! ive never been to ny or anywhere near it, but have fun channel!!! maybe contact a homeschool group there, go on field trips with them,

your kids are pretty young still, so dont need any formal hsing, so have fun learning songs, singing on the road, put music to the abcs and numbers ,

• Channell07
    March 4, 2013 at 10:25 AM
    Thanks.. I have a list of things going but I want to do those "hidden gem" things, too. Finding a HS group is a good idea! We already school DS will be done with kindergarten within a month. DD is doing some more informal stuff but she loves to do worksheets and flashcards now and they already know about 1/2 the states because we have been doing a state study. =)
    Quoting oredeb:

i have no ideas! ive never been to ny or anywhere near it, but have fun channel!!! maybe contact a homeschool group there, go on field trips with them,

your kids are pretty young still, so dont need any formal hsing, so have fun learning songs, singing on the road, put music to the abcs and numbers ,

• kirbymom
    March 4, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Wow! Sounds like a blast. We used to do it a few years ago ourselves, just on opposite coasts.  :)   And since I have never been to NY, I wouldn't know where to go for suggestions. But what I can suggest to you is this, make a picture collage activity scrap book of your trip and let the kids help categorize the pictures and even help "glue" them down.  Maybe even help pick out the coloring of the layout and so forth.  Anyways, it was just an idea.  I hope you have a blast while you travel with hubby and kids.  I know we did.  :) 

• Channell07
    March 4, 2013 at 2:20 PM
    Thanks for the idea of the scrapbook! The kids would love that! We are likely going to be doing this for a year. It could be 1 job in a year it could be 6 different places or more. We won't know until we get started! I am so excited about the possibilities but I am not looking forward to worrying that my house is ok. lol
    Quoting kirbymom:

Wow! Sounds like a blast. We used to do it a few years ago ourselves, just on opposite coasts.  :)   And since I have never been to NY, I wouldn't know where to go for suggestions. But what I can suggest to you is this, make a picture collage activity scrap book of your trip and let the kids help categorize the pictures and even help "glue" them down.  Maybe even help pick out the coloring of the layout and so forth.  Anyways, it was just an idea.  I hope you have a blast while you travel with hubby and kids.  I know we did.  :) 

Homeschooling Moms