Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
mem82
Do you feel that homeschoolers give their children more choices than public school parents?
by mem82
March 3, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Life choices, choices over their curriculum or extracurricular activities

On average, do you think we give more choices or do you think most homeschoolers are more controlling?

Replies

• GELiz
    by GELiz
    March 3, 2013 at 7:57 PM

It all depends on teh teacher and the parent. It cannot be compared.

• mem82
    by mem82
    March 3, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I'm talking about in general since one common stereotype of homeschoolers is that we're controlling. What are your thoughts on that?

Quoting GELiz:

It all depends on teh teacher and the parent. It cannot be compared.

• ceckyl
    by ceckyl
    March 3, 2013 at 8:01 PM
    I can't speak for everyone, but for ME ad my family, the big thing that draws me into homeschooling is that I can tailor it to my kids needs and wants. So I feel like there is more choice in homeschooling, and public schools are a one size fits all kind of deal.
  • GELiz
    by GELiz
    March 3, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Well, I've been around a lot of hoeschooling moms and dads and they are all different. Some, I think are terrible motivators, some stick to workbooks only and that is just not engaging. But then there are others who are so fantastic that they just blow my mind. And I've been around a lot of teachers, some are dull and boirng and lazy and some are just fantasitc. I really cannot give a  generalization. What I can say is that I admire most homeschooling parents and just the fact that the parents are engaged and invested in their childrens educaton makes the kids more inot their own education. I think the family structure is much tighter in hoeschooled families because it is not cool to be mean to your siblings until you go to school.

I love the homeschooling community and I do not love the public school community.

• bluerooffarm
    March 3, 2013 at 8:17 PM

For my family and most of the homeschooling families I know, we definately give many more choices with absolutely no comparison.  In a setting with 20 or more kids for one adult, there is simply no way for a teacher to give each student the choices that I give my boys every single day.  Just the logistics of where to put 20 kids that want to read upside down on the couch would make that choice impossible.  How to safely get all the kids who want to do gym this morning to the gym class while the ones that want music go there and the ones that want art go there would be impossible.

• TroyboysMom
    March 3, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I think it varies from person to person, and from family to family. Maybe not even more choices, but different choices?

• AutymsMommy
    March 3, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Some children are absolutely engaged with workbooks and textbooks - my 11 year old daughter is one of them. She has absolutely no desire to craft or project her way through school. Lol.

Quoting GELiz:

Well, I've been around a lot of hoeschooling moms and dads and they are all different. Some, I think are terrible motivators, some stick to workbooks only and that is just not engaging. But then there are others who are so fantastic that they just blow my mind. And I've been around a lot of teachers, some are dull and boirng and lazy and some are just fantasitc. I really cannot give a  generalization. What I can say is that I admire most homeschooling parents and just the fact that the parents are engaged and invested in their childrens educaton makes the kids more inot their own education. I think the family structure is much tighter in hoeschooled families because it is not cool to be mean to your siblings until you go to school.

I love the homeschooling community and I do not love the public school community.

• AutymsMommy
    March 3, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I want my children to *own* their education.

They have a significant amount of input into their curriculum and extra subjects. Given, they have no choice about DOING them, but they certainly have a voice into WHAT they do, so long as it meets certain criteria (Catholic or secular texts, age appropriate, certain subject material must be met, etc).

And we're pretty liberal in terms of freedoms - dd11 can most often be found wandering the neighborhood playing with her best friend and the other (adult) neighbors, lol.

• TigerofMu
    March 3, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I feel my children get a lot more choices, and a lot more opportunities.

• coala
    by coala
    March 3, 2013 at 10:13 PM

I don't necessarily think it is more choices, but different choices.  It works for us.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts