Homeschooling Moms

jen2150
Any moms have kids in 4H?
by jen2150
March 3, 2013 at 3:58 PM
Tomorrow is our first meeting in the Junior naturalist meeting. We are going to visit a farm with 20 newly born goats. My son is so excited. I have a feeling he is going to be asking to get some goats. One of things I love about homeschooling is all the opportunities we have. My youngest wants to become an inventor and farmer. He absolutely loves plants and animals. Do you have any budding naturalists?

Replies

• Koltie6
    by Koltie6
    March 3, 2013 at 11:26 PM
    My oldest daughter was in 4h for 8 years. We had show cattle. She traveled all over Texas as well as California and Colorado. She met kids from all over the U S . It was amazing the opportunities that came to her thru 4h.
  • jen2150
    by jen2150
    March 4, 2013 at 8:49 AM
    Thanks for sharing. Sounds like she had a lot of fun. We live in the east but we are traveling to Montana this summer. I really enjoy traveling west. The land is so different. Beautiful country.
    Quoting Koltie6:

My oldest daughter was in 4h for 8 years. We had show cattle. She traveled all over Texas as well as California and Colorado. She met kids from all over the U S . It was amazing the opportunities that came to her thru 4h.

• mem82
    by mem82
    March 4, 2013 at 9:24 AM
    We aren't really in a place we can do 4H.
  • Angela4boys
    March 4, 2013 at 9:29 AM
    No we aren't in 4H, but I'm interested! I just looked it up last week :). We are city slickers living in the country, haha! I have to admit I'm not familiar with 4H really, not so sure how to get started.
  • jen2150
    by jen2150
    March 4, 2013 at 9:36 AM

We currently raise chickens, ducks, peacocks, and guineas.  We plan to add more.  We didn't know anything before we started.  I have learned so much.  Are you a part of local homeschooling groups like on yahoo?  I would ask around.  I really don't know anything about 4H.   I am learning as I go.

Quoting Angela4boys:

No we aren't in 4H, but I'm interested! I just looked it up last week :). We are city slickers living in the country, haha! I have to admit I'm not familiar with 4H really, not so sure how to get started.

• Angela4boys
    March 4, 2013 at 9:40 AM
    No, no homeschool groups, but probably in the coming year. We just moved here mid year. We just bought a rototiller so we can start a garden, and I'm scared because I don't know where to start (did I mention growing up in the city ;) We have discussed trying to raise chickens. At this point, all my advice comes from blogs I find on Pinterest

Quoting jen2150:

We currently raise chickens, ducks, peacocks, and guineas.  We plan to add more.  We didn't know anything before we started.  I have learned so much.  Are you a part of local homeschooling groups like on yahoo?  I would ask around.  I really don't know anything about 4H.   I am learning as I go.

Quoting Angela4boys:

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    March 4, 2013 at 9:47 AM
    If you want to do chickens I recommend using movable housing and fencing. You can move them over your garden area and they will fertilize your garden area for your next growing season. Good luck. Growing food and raising animals is a learning experience. You will do great!
    Quoting Angela4boys:

No, no homeschool groups, but probably in the coming year. We just moved here mid year. We just bought a rototiller so we can start a garden, and I'm scared because I don't know where to start (did I mention growing up in the city ;) We have discussed trying to raise chickens. At this point, all my advice comes from blogs I find on Pinterest

Quoting jen2150:

Quoting Angela4boys:

• Koltie6
    by Koltie6
    March 4, 2013 at 11:22 AM
    Just call you local county extension agent they will give you a list of the clubs near you. You just show up at the meeting and sign up. It costs 10.00 I think.

Quoting Angela4boys:

• Angela4boys
    March 4, 2013 at 11:25 AM
    Thanks!

Quoting Koltie6:

Just call you local county extension agent they will give you a list of the clubs near you. You just show up at the meeting and sign up. It costs 10.00 I think.

Quoting Angela4boys:

• Angela4boys
    March 4, 2013 at 11:25 AM
    Thanks for the tip, that's one I hadn't read yet!

Quoting jen2150:

If you want to do chickens I recommend using movable housing and fencing. You can move them over your garden area and they will fertilize your garden area for your next growing season. Good luck. Growing food and raising animals is a learning experience. You will do great!

Quoting Angela4boys:

Quoting jen2150:

Quoting Angela4boys:

Homeschooling Moms