Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Mrs._Lovett
i want to homeschool
March 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM

i have been going back and forth about homeschooling like crazy, and i really need to decide because my dd will be starting kindergarten this fall. i really want to do it but im terrified ill have no clue what im doing or if im doing it right. when fall comes ill have a 5 yr old a 3 yr old and a 6 month old. i looked up info on ohio, i know im supposed to contact the superintendent and im supposed to know bout curriculum?? how do i know what im going to do for that or what she even needs to learn? is it expensive? how do you find time to do al the stuff that needs done in a day? im so lost. i know nothing.

Replies

• lucsch
    by lucsch
    March 2, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Start right now with K4 stuff!

When I started, my dd was 4-1/2 yo. I wasn't confident either, even though I had taught one year of homeschool to my other kids when they were 4th and 6th graders. That really did not  boost my confidence, as we sent them to public school. Our year was awful...but that is a whole other story!

Anyway, I thought I would start homeschooling her before she legally had to go. If it didn't work out, well, I'd send her to school.

We are finishing up our 6th year--4th grade--and we plan to keep on going through high school! This has been such a wonderful adventure for us--so successful!

So, start now with a preschool program. Just spend about an hour a day teaching the basics. You CAN do this!

• romacox
    by romacox
    March 2, 2013 at 6:40 AM

Hearing the deep caring in your words tells me that you will be a very good home educator.  With that you will learn the rest. 

As A home school workshop leader, I put together some  free web pages to help you with your questions.

How To Home School (This one tells you the basics to get you started)

How To Home School (This article is more in depth)

• AutymsMommy
    March 2, 2013 at 8:58 AM

You've already taken the first step - you know your state laws!

Next you would decide what type of program you want. If your daughter works at the same level across the board, you could go with an all-in-one "boxed" curriculum. Remember that homeschool programs are generally not standardized like public school curriculum - so what level your daughter would be ready for in homeschool curriculum will be different than if she were to simply step into a kindergarten public school classroom. Pay attention to that as you're looking at curriculum. Most homeschoolers end up "eclectic" at some point - pulling different resources from different places and at different levels because most children are NOT working at one level across the board; my own daughter works a year behind in language arts (in homeschool curriculum), but a couple years ahead in maths; her curriculum reflects that.

Next you need to decide your budget. You asked if homeschooling is expensive. It can be - but you can also do it for almost nothing. I have no advice on doing it for free, although many wonderful ladies here can point you in that direction; I do purchase my curriculum because I haven't the patience (or desire really) to pull from the free resouces out there.

Then you need to decide if you are using a secular or christian program, and if you are using christian programs, you need to decide which denomination (yes, this does matter in homeschool curriculum!!!).

You can do this! You'll do great!

• Mrs._Lovett
    March 2, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Thank you! i'll definitely take a look at those :)

Quoting romacox:

Hearing the deep caring in your words tells me that you will be a very good home educator.  With that you will learn the rest. 

As A home school workshop leader, I put together some  free web pages to help you with your questions.

How To Home School (This one tells you the basics to get you started)

How To Home School (This article is more in depth)

• Mrs._Lovett
    March 2, 2013 at 1:26 PM

that's a good point. i do want to be christian based, i'll have to look into that more :)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

You've already taken the first step - you know your state laws!

Next you would decide what type of program you want. If your daughter works at the same level across the board, you could go with an all-in-one "boxed" curriculum. Remember that homeschool programs are generally not standardized like public school curriculum - so what level your daughter would be ready for in homeschool curriculum will be different than if she were to simply step into a kindergarten public school classroom. Pay attention to that as you're looking at curriculum. Most homeschoolers end up "eclectic" at some point - pulling different resources from different places and at different levels because most children are NOT working at one level across the board; my own daughter works a year behind in language arts (in homeschool curriculum), but a couple years ahead in maths; her curriculum reflects that.

Next you need to decide your budget. You asked if homeschooling is expensive. It can be - but you can also do it for almost nothing. I have no advice on doing it for free, although many wonderful ladies here can point you in that direction; I do purchase my curriculum because I haven't the patience (or desire really) to pull from the free resouces out there.

Then you need to decide if you are using a secular or christian program, and if you are using christian programs, you need to decide which denomination (yes, this does matter in homeschool curriculum!!!).

You can do this! You'll do great!

• mem82
    by mem82
    March 2, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Hi! I'm in Ohio, too. Our laws are fairly easy, actually. A few points to remember. We send our Letter of Intent to the school super. You are sending an OUTLINE of what your curriculum plan is and what materials you use. You don't have to use what you send in, you just have to show them that you have thought about it. LOL My curriculum plans are rarely longer than a page or so. Less with my material list. In Ohio, you are not seeking APPROVAL, you are telling them that you are homeschooling. If you cover every point laid out in the law, then they can't ask you for more. 8)

Also, Ohio has a great loophole written in it's laws. It says you have to cover 9 (I think) subjects EXCEPT if you don't agree with it because of religion or philosophy. That means they basically can't make you teach anything you don't want.

For end of year testing, you can either have a portfolio graded (I do this with my son. It's usually only about 20 pages of work done throughout the year and a list of books and field trips.) or a test. Your choice. 8) You will send that in with your SECOND year Intent to Homeschool notice.

• mem82
    by mem82
    March 2, 2013 at 1:40 PM

The Ohio Department of Education website has content standards. It basically lists what public school students will learn about in each grade. That can help guide you in your search for a curriculum or if you make your own. Honestly, for the younger grades, you can really build a quality curriculum with art supplies, a few workbooks from Target and, in your case, a Bible. 8) Why spend a ton of money on a book that tells you how to teach your kid the ABCs? You've taught your kid to walk, talk, and potty, you can teach them to count to 100 with some fun games.

Get a calender set and do that every day.Go on nature walks. Spend the money you may have used on curriculum to get a Zoo and COSI pass. 8)

• Mrs._Lovett
    March 2, 2013 at 2:03 PM

do homeschoolers start at 5? or do they have to wait until they're 6? and at the end do they get some kind of diploma? or is it just a GED?

• Mrs._Lovett
    March 2, 2013 at 2:24 PM

can gymnastics and ballet classes be included as phys ed and fine arts? if so do i have to send in the names of the teachers who teach her that? and it says kids have to get 900 hours of homeschool a year, thats like... 9.5 hours of school every day of the whole year, do we really have to spend that much time every day just doing work? how do you show that you've done those 900 hours? can you show me an example of the curriculum paper you send to the superintendent? sorry i have so many questions, just trying to figure everything out :)

Quoting mem82:

The Ohio Department of Education website has content standards. It basically lists what public school students will learn about in each grade. That can help guide you in your search for a curriculum or if you make your own. Honestly, for the younger grades, you can really build a quality curriculum with art supplies, a few workbooks from Target and, in your case, a Bible. 8) Why spend a ton of money on a book that tells you how to teach your kid the ABCs? You've taught your kid to walk, talk, and potty, you can teach them to count to 100 with some fun games.

Get a calender set and do that every day.Go on nature walks. Spend the money you may have used on curriculum to get a Zoo and COSI pass. 8)

• mem82
    by mem82
    March 2, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Yes, gymnastics and ballet count. No you don't have to send in the names. I say on my curriculum sheet something along the lines of : Harrison will take part in a gym class and be physically active at home everyday, also.

You don't have to prove 900 hours. We don't keep attendance in Ohio. Look at it this way- Helping to cook dinner = 30minutes of Math (fractions) and Science (how things change matter as they cook). Grocery shopping- 60 minutes Reading (looking for boxes and labels) and Math (money). Talking to Grandpa about his childhood over lunch 2 hours history.

Homeschooling is a completely different way to live. Kids learn sooooooo much informally. You'll find yourself sounding out words on signs, and explaining (for the 1 billionth time lol) why the sky is blue and dogs have fur but we don't. Then, you'll go together and Google pictures of the sky or other animals with fur. It will expand from this basic question into a whole day of learning. Don't let the *technical* numbers they throw out worry you. Change the way you look at things and see how much learning is involved in just walking down the road. Start switching on the History Channel instead of Disney and PBS instead of Cartoon Network. 8) They'll learn things so fast you will have a hard time keeping up. LOL I bet you do a lot of this stuff, already. It all counts as education. So many parents don't take the time to stop and explain things that schools have taken over the job, sadly.

Let me pull up my curriculum outlines. 8) This is year 5 (almost 6!!!) for me so I have it down to a science. LOL

Quoting Mrs._Lovett:

can gymnastics and ballet classes be included as phys ed and fine arts? if so do i have to send in the names of the teachers who teach her that? and it says kids have to get 900 hours of homeschool a year, thats like... 9.5 hours of school every day of the whole year, do we really have to spend that much time every day just doing work? how do you show that you've done those 900 hours? can you show me an example of the curriculum paper you send to the superintendent? sorry i have so many questions, just trying to figure everything out :)

Quoting mem82:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN