Homeschooling Moms

zandizane
Heart of Dakota or Timberdoodle??
March 1, 2013 at 8:52 PM

I cannot decide which one to buy for my kids next year! They will be in Kinder and 3rd. What are your opinions on the two?

Replies

• lucsch
    by lucsch
    March 1, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Those are very different! LOL!

I did Sonlight for K and 1st and switched to HOD in 2nd grade (Beyond level). My dd is finishing up 4th now. I no longer research curriculum. I am totally satisfied with HOD.

HOD teaches specific skills and layers them year-to-year. Many lit-based curricula don't do that.

Timberdoodle looks fun, though.

• zandizane
    March 1, 2013 at 10:25 PM

I know they are very different lol :) I like HOD's example page of week 1 how everyday is laid out so there is no guessing. But I think their ordering page is kinda confusing. There are so many different packages to add and so on. Timberdoodle is pick a grade level and check out lol.

Quoting lucsch:

I did Sonlight for K and 1st and switched to HOD in 2nd grade (Beyond level). My dd is finishing up 4th now. I no longer research curriculum. I am totally satisfied with HOD.

HOD teaches specific skills and layers them year-to-year. Many lit-based curricula don't do that.

• lucsch
    by lucsch
    March 1, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Fill out the form to get a free catalog from HOD. It makes much more sense!

I will be happy to help you though. I've got it all figured out. It IS confusing at first.

Quoting zandizane:

I know they are very different lol :) I like HOD's example page of week 1 how everyday is laid out so there is no guessing. But I think their ordering page is kinda confusing. There are so many different packages to add and so on. Timberdoodle is pick a grade level and check out lol.

Quoting lucsch:

• Leissaintexas
    March 2, 2013 at 11:57 AM

It depends on what kind of learners your kids are and what type of method you prefer. Timberdoodle just puts together the most commonly used textbooks and resources. If your kids are traditional learners, this would be good. My kids personally did not like HOD. They hated the read-alouds and were constantly asking me where the "work" was LOL. They did not like the idea of not having actual assignments and worksheets and such. If you are a Charlotte Mason fan, HOD would be great.

• zandizane
    March 2, 2013 at 12:15 PM
    Yes I think they are more traditional learners. They do really well with worksheets and textbook learning :) After spending hours lastnight researchig HOD, I don't think it is the right fit for us.
    Quoting Leissaintexas:

It depends on what kind of learners your kids are and what type of method you prefer. Timberdoodle just puts together the most commonly used textbooks and resources. If your kids are traditional learners, this would be good. My kids personally did not like HOD. They hated the read-alouds and were constantly asking me where the "work" was LOL. They did not like the idea of not having actual assignments and worksheets and such. If you are a Charlotte Mason fan, HOD would be great.

• lucsch
    by lucsch
    March 2, 2013 at 4:16 PM

My dd had issues with the fine motor skills in handwriting. It would have held her back to do a writing heavy curriculum.

Now, in 4th, she is finally doing well with handwriting. She does notebooking, which includes crossword puzzles and workbook-like questions on some pages. Most are just free-style written narration. She uses a workbook for math. Otherwise, it is a lot of reading, for her, and she excels at that and loves it. She narrates to me after certain readings and does well with that, too. We have a lot of discussions together, as well. For creative writing, she likes to type on the computer.

She is one whose does better with open-ended assignments rather than fill-in-the-blank, cookie cutter assignments. She would have pulled her hair out doing workbook after workbook, worksheet after worksheet.

CM isn't for everyone, but it fits her learning style and my teaching style well. I learned that about me when I used aBeka with my older children. It about killed me--too much structure and grading, and too many quizzes, tests, and worksheets!

Quoting zandizane:

Yes I think they are more traditional learners. They do really well with worksheets and textbook learning :) After spending hours lastnight researchig HOD, I don't think it is the right fit for us.
    Quoting Leissaintexas:

Homeschooling Moms