Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Connorsmommy13
Is grade 2 too young??
March 1, 2013 at 1:52 PM

My DS is in grade 2 I want to start doing definitions of words and such...I was talking to another parent and she said that grade 2 is too young...Thing is he is reading chapter books, and loves learning but is that too much pressure ...as of now I am not homeschooling him....but if I get approved for Disabilty (meaning I can stay home since I am a single mom) I am really thinking about it

I am thinking the simple words the habitate and all then words like metapher and everything...

Please dont bash my spelling right now...I will be spelling them on the flash cards right!

Replies

• oahoah
    by oahoah
    March 3, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Go with your instinct. I think you know best for your child.  My son is also in 2nd and we have been doing word definitions since last year, also started showing him how to find things in the dictionary and thesaurus. 

Since you are not homeschooling yet, maybe start with spelling words from school, or pick words for that week that will relate to what he is doing so it isn't added work for him. Good luck!

• homeschoolx3
    March 3, 2013 at 1:19 AM

It's not too young, just pace yourself and your DS with like, 10 words a week. And like Jessica45 said, have him use them in a sentence too.

• Knightquester
    March 3, 2013 at 1:35 AM

My children had no issues at 2nd grade looking up definitions.  My children by age two were reading children's novels or teen books (depending on the child).  They still sometimes walk around with a dictionary and just read it for fun.

All children are different and we homeschool parents teach our children differently, it sounds like you and the parent you were talking to are just cut from different cloths.  Nothing wrong with that, but I'd not base your analysis of what your child can do and how you'd like to teach off of that parents experience and situation.

It's true other people can help us learn and gain knowledge of what we should and should not do, in this situation I'd just see what works for you, try it out and if it's not working then you will know it doesn't work.

• KickButtMama
    March 3, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Honestly I don't follow any 'too young or too old' rules. Instead, I introduce things. If the kids struggle then they aren't ready, if they breeze through then we keep going.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts