Homeschooling Moms

leighp1
Verbal learning and hands on learning
by leighp1
February 27, 2013 at 7:15 AM

I know this doesn't apply to all, but I was watching a video yesterday and it said (I won't quote it because I know I will mess it up, so doing the best I can with what I remember) that when children are being lectured they only retain approx. 8% of what they heard three days later, but when they had hands on experience, they retained approx. 80% of what they were told.  That was amazing to me.  I know that is the way I learn, hands on, but I never knew the numbers were so widespread.  I know my daughter is a hands on kind of kid and that is why we are doing a lot of websites, worksheets, games and experiments while learning.

Just thought this was interesting and wanted to share.

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 27, 2013 at 9:12 AM
    It is interesting. 8)
  • kirbymom
    February 27, 2013 at 11:17 AM

It is interesting. Thanks for sharing it. :)   I love when someone has learned something. I get to see the excitement and the joy of learning and that is sooo awesome to witness.  :)  

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    February 27, 2013 at 11:43 AM

so true, also it does help if someone that is a visual learner  tells or narrates to someone what they heard in the lecture! i hve some visual learners and im one!

• coala
    by coala
    February 27, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I am a hands on learner as is my youngest.  My oldest is more auditory.  We have to find what works for each of them.

• romacox
    by romacox
    February 27, 2013 at 2:07 PM

It is a very interesting subject, leighp1

Workbooks, flashcards, lectures....the Conventional Method teaches to the left brain only.  But by physically involving children in the learning process  you are teaching to whole brain .  It is known as Total Physical Response, and studies show that children learn faster, retain more., drop out rates decrease by 90% (children retain their love for learning), and it improves the health of  the brain. 

Homeschooling Moms