Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
3aimingfor5
Second Grade
February 27, 2013 at 12:40 AM

I am looking for a second grade history/social study curriculm for next year. Any ideas?

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 27, 2013 at 9:12 AM
    I just started using the Story of the World and like it.
  • motheroffour186
    February 27, 2013 at 9:34 AM
    I worked on home neighbor town city state country ect.hisory of important dates.
  • motheroffour186
    February 27, 2013 at 6:55 PM
    I worked on home neighbor town city state country ect.hisory of important dates.
  • debramommyof4
    February 27, 2013 at 7:23 PM

For history we are going to work through reading The Magic Tree House and studying the era the little kids in the book visit.  We will take atleast a month on each subject brought up and the kids will pick an animal, person or event to do a project on for that time.

For science we will be following The Magic School bus.  We will watch the episode of what we are going to work on that month on the first science day and then we will research using the library, encyclopidia's and the internet and then do a project for that episode.  At the end of the month we will again watch the episode and see how much they learned.

I am trying for a more hands on history and science for my 1st and 2nd graders next year. 

So for examples of each.... The first Magic Tree House book is about Dinosaurs, So we will will study the time of dinosaurs, where there people? What does history say?  What does the Bible say?  What do the kids believe?  We will study different kinds of dinosaurs.  We will make lapbooks and maybe make a diorama.

The first Magic School Bus episode is about the Solar System.  We will be making a model of the solar system and discussing the number of planets.  Is Pluto a planet?  Why or Why not?  I know that it is some years and isnt others and then they completely took it off for awhile so that should be interesting.  

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN