Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
ceckyl
3 year old preschooling?
by ceckyl
February 25, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Is there any type of small curriculum you would recommend for a 3 year old? I am planning on homeschooling my kids and my oldest is 3. She is very bright and retains everything. We do lots of play learning, like arts and crafts and such, but she is just always needing a challenge. She gets bored easily and it's very much winter here, so were in the house a lot. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    February 25, 2013 at 12:55 PM

I don't really use a curriculum for my youngest kids.  My little ones like puzzles and games (candyland, chutes and ladders, I Can do that, skippity, mancala, and jenga were great ones for the 2-5 year olds and still fun for older kids and you!).

We read a lot and sang silly songs a lot.  That age is really great at learning through play, starting a curriculum at that age can stifle learning more than it helps. 

• AutymsMommy
    February 25, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Most preschool curriculum includes writing skills, which most 3 year olds aren't quite ready for (forming letters, numbers, shapes, etc).

Here are some non-writing intensive resources for preschool:

Reading Eggs

Starfall (part of this is free, but pay for it - it's worth it for the extra content and math portions!)

Invest in an abacus for counting... and some bear counters :)

Other than that, work on recognizing the letters of the alphabet (uppercase and lowercase) and recognizing numbers through 10; if she can't count to ten yet, work on that (then work on counting backwards from 10). Work on not only being able to recognize numbers, but understanding the value of "1" (the manipulatives come into play here).

• No_Difference
    February 25, 2013 at 1:42 PM

My little guy is 3 and he loved doing All About Reading. We started with the pre level and he flew through it and we're onto level 1 already with him and he still loves it! The pre level is all about having fun, coloring and crafts. Because he showed a major interest in math, after our Christmas break we started using Math U See Primer and he's been having a blast with that too. We usually only work with the "school work" 2-3x a week or more only if he asks (which lately has been every day). I think with the reading pre level, we spent a longer amount of time because of the coloring and now we're spending maybe 15 minutes and only about 5 minutes on math (he flies through his "assignments").

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    February 25, 2013 at 2:05 PM
    Check out www.handsonhomeschooling.com she has curriculum for 2-5 yr olds.
  • ceckyl
    by ceckyl
    February 25, 2013 at 2:10 PM
    Thanks everyone for the great ideas

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts