Homeschooling Moms

gacgbaker
Need math cir. advice...
February 25, 2013 at 4:47 AM

Math is my major weak spot, I can do it- but I need some instruction before I teach the kids.  I am looking for a curriculum with instructional videos that we can watch together.  I like the envision math videos- but I can't purchase the digital access to them as a homeschooler (that I have found).  I was looking at Saxon math using the DIVE videos to go with it- but I'm a little unsure about Saxon in general.  

Does anyone have any other suggestions on math cirriculm with video tutorials?  

Replies

• energygirl
    February 25, 2013 at 6:20 AM

what grades are you looking for math curriculum for? (some folks prefer one over another for different ages....)

• gacgbaker
    February 25, 2013 at 7:28 AM

Quoting energygirl:

what grades are you looking for math curriculum for? (some folks prefer one over another for different ages....)

They will be 3rd and 5th- thanks!

• AutymsMommy
    February 25, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Teaching Textbooks wouldn't need you at all :P

Quoting gacgbaker:

Quoting energygirl:

They will be 3rd and 5th- thanks!

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    February 25, 2013 at 9:01 AM

We use teaching textbooks and life of fred.  We love them both.  Teaching textbooks have awesome resale values.  It is mostly the initial investment.  I like how it does a lot of the same problems over and over.  

• Jinx-Troublex3
    February 25, 2013 at 11:25 AM
    We like Math u see and Aleks.

MUS had a DVD and a written teacher's manual. We haven't ever used the book for teaching as the DVD covers everything well.

MUS is mastery and many may not like starting a mastery curriculum this late but I did it with my oldest at third and he took to it well.
  • RockEducation
    February 25, 2013 at 12:08 PM

You might check out Teaching Textbooks. Definitely give the placement test if you decide to buy. TT has excellent resale value on ebay.

• KrissyKC
    February 25, 2013 at 12:11 PM

math u see

teaching textbooks

these two are what we r switching to

• No_Difference
    February 25, 2013 at 1:45 PM

We've loved Math U See. We watch the DVDs together and if she asks a question and I forget how he explained it, I can refer back to it in the teachers manual. Lately, she hasn't wanted to watch the DVDs so I occasionally watch the video on my own if I'm confused what they're referring to in the manual, and then I can just read from there when we go over it,

• motheroffour186
    February 25, 2013 at 2:28 PM

What grade?? I usuallyfind examples on NEtflix and YouTube and type in what subject in math that we are talking about for that week or day what ever

• motheroffour186
    February 25, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I usually look it up on netflix or YouTube or http://www.havefunteaching.com/

and find what specific that we are talking about that day or week

Homeschooling Moms