Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
QueenCreole313
Military module
February 24, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Military education

Hello ladies. I've started to plan ahead for next month. I am interested in creating a military history module for my son. It is for our custom course we call OurStory.

Goal: to teach him about the branches and roles of the military, recent military conflicts and family members who have served.

I tend to teach from present day backwards. So I know I want to cover the conflicts in Iraq & Afghaniatan, Vietnam and the Korean wars. (We have family members who have served in these who are still living.) what other recent conflicts am I missing. I know there are more.

Do you have any suggestions, websites, documentaries, etc which you think would be beneficial to introducing a child to military history while not traumatizing him for life?I'm also open to teaching ideas. Thanks!

Replies

• letstalk747
    February 24, 2013 at 3:08 PM

i dont , but excellent idea

• wunderwifey
    February 24, 2013 at 3:32 PM
    There are a lot of smaller conflicts like Bosnia and the first Gulf War.
    The history channel has published dozens of movies and documenteries. We find a lot for cheap at dollar general or the $5 bin at wal mart.
    My kids (9 and 10) watch them without any issue. (my 9y/o freaks at the ghosts in A Christmas Carol...) we've watched everything from weapons and machines of war to full length war documenteries on Vietnam and WW2.
    If you have a miltary base near by check and see if they are doing an airshow in the coming months. I know both the Navy and Air Force are gearing up their flight demonstration shows soon. Even a trip to the local American Legion or Veterans of Foreign Wars posts could present some cool stories and information.
  • debramommyof4
    February 24, 2013 at 5:23 PM

There are alot on Netflix too.  I will look them up in a bit.  My husband was in the Marines and can not get enough of them and my 6 and 7 year old watch with him so it should be ok for your son. 

• OneDay.
    by OneDay.
    February 24, 2013 at 6:11 PM
    Kosovo and Somalia
  • Boobah
    by Boobah
    February 24, 2013 at 9:19 PM
    Bump :)
  • kirbymom
    February 25, 2013 at 12:45 PM

That is a fantastic idea. We did something similar with our older boys and they loved it!  You might use some pictures of the different branch insignias.  For example....

This is just one of many that my boys used in their reports.  

• QueenCreole313
    February 25, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Wow! That is so cool! My son is very visual. I think he would love it! Thank you.

• amberstars
    February 26, 2013 at 5:47 AM

Gulf War

Mexican-American War

Civil War

Revolutionary War

Battle of the Bay of Pigs (failed CIA operation)

Bosnia War

Depending on how old your son is have him watch the Military Channel.  Maybe interview different members of the branches for their perspective on the current wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.  Do different wars and them have him do a report on his favorite war.  Read up on biographies of famous Generals.  If he has a family member in the military or former military interview that person about their experiences in the war.  Go so far as to see if there any civilians alive from prior wars and ask if he can interview them.

You could cover different militaries throughout the world if you wanted to delve deep into History. 

• leighp1
    by leighp1
    February 26, 2013 at 6:10 AM

Great idea!!  Don't forget about the constant conflict in Korea.  With them recently doing nuclear testing, it is something that he can do some predictions as well. 

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN