Homeschooling Moms

Walnutgrovefarm
Help needed!!! Debating on different curriculum for next year 7th grade!!!!!
February 23, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Help! I need advic on what everyone thinks for curriculum for the 7th grade next year! I am going back and forth on Abeka dvd's is there something else out there. I would like to have something that teaches math and language maybe sciences. History I would like to teach. DS has done Abeka in the 3rd and 4th grade then we made our own curriculum up. What is everyone's thoughts please!!!!

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    February 23, 2013 at 10:10 PM
    I can't help you because I don't use a curriculum but here is a bump to get your post back to the top.
  • Silverkitty
    February 24, 2013 at 12:45 AM

I've never used Abeka.  I finally did figure out what we are going to do for 7th grade though.

History = Sonlight Core E

Math = Lial's Pre-Algebra

Language Arts = Winston Grammar, Lighting Lit 7, and Essentials in Writing 7th grade

Science = Mr. Q's Advanced Chemistry

Foreign Language = Irasshai Japanese

Logic = Perplexors

Art and music I don't remember off the top of my head.

• lifesadream83
    February 24, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Moving Beyond the Page (11-13 is 7th Grade) has multiple options for purchasing LA , Science, & History (They are releasing their 8th grade program in the spring).  You could select the whole LA program, the Science Program and then teach History yourself.  

Math U See's secondary program starts with Pre Algebra.

Apologia Science is AMAZING if you are good with using Christian Curriculum.  It makes very difficult concepts easy to understand.  

• Walnutgrovefarm
    February 24, 2013 at 4:04 PM

We use Math U See now for 6th grade and I really like it so does my ds. I wouldn't mind continueing with it. Last year we did Apologia good know its good for 7th grade. I do like building our own curriculum just was wondering if it's good to continue doing it for middle school? Thank you.

• TigerofMu
    February 24, 2013 at 10:15 PM

We use a Unit Study program called Learning Adventures, which we love.  We also started using Apologia Science, both with the younger kids to give them a stronger Science background, and with our high schooler.  Math-U-See is our go to for Math, and we use Memoria Press for Latin.  Learning Adventures has Language Arts, History, Geography, other Social Studies, Science, and Music and Art included.

• energygirl
    February 25, 2013 at 6:23 AM

if you try Sonlight...they do give a money back guarantee if you buy a core (a package with subjects).  You can try it for half the year, then return it all (used and unused parts) for a full refund if you don't like it. We like sonlight so far...but my kids aren't that old.  You can get a sonlight catalogue free  (requests on their website) and in there it explains the guarantee/refund and also the pros and cons of their materials.

• Walnutgrovefarm
    February 26, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Thanks for all the advice.

Homeschooling Moms