Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
jen2150
Creative Math Class I want to teach...I would like some input
by jen2150
February 23, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Next year for our co-op class I want to teach a class called Creative Math.  My goal is trying to get kids and parents to love math and have fun playing with math.

Here is what I was thinking.  Before I show it  to our co-op I wanted to see if it would be a class that others would interested in.  Let me know if it is something that sounds interesting.  One of my main goals for this class is to teach how math can be learned a variety of ways.

Every child would be given a bare book to be creative with math at the end of each class.  We will begin each class by reading a story from the life of fred.  There will be 6 weeks of classes.  I will be doing more activities during each week but these are topics I was thinking of doing for each week.  

1. Math in Ancient Times.  He would learn a little about Geometry and shapes from ancient times.  I was planning on having our first class introduce the ancient beginnings of math.  I also wanted to talk about why math is important.  I wanted to talk about Michael Faraday and incorporate some experiments and talk about math was used to prove his theories.  
  2. I was going to use a program called Math in motion.  It is basically using Origami to teach math concepts.
  3. Math mysteries.  I have a book about mysteries that uses Math to figure out crime mysteries.  I thought it would be neat to read about people use math to figure out mysteries.
  4. Math through Nature.  We are going learn about Fibonacci numbers. (looking for patterns) 
  5. Math through Art.  I found some books that teach Math through Art.
  6. Our last class with playing some math games together and finishing our math journal.

Replies

• wunderwifey
    February 23, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I like it. I think my kids would enjoy it a lot.

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    February 23, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Thank you.  I just found some more neat books to use.   Books are one of my addictions.

Quoting wunderwifey:

I like it. I think my kids would enjoy it a lot.

• amandae21
    February 23, 2013 at 9:29 PM

What grade level? Sounds fun to me!!

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    February 23, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Most of the kids are 1st through through 5th grade.  If I get a lot of kids in kindergarten I usually split it into two different groups.   Thanks.     It sounded like a fun idea to me.  I just hope the kids think it is a good idea.  I actually got the idea from my son because he loves math and playing with numbers.  Have a great week!

Quoting amandae21:

What grade level? Sounds fun to me!!

• Jami134
    by Jami134
    February 24, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Oh!  Have you seen The Story of 1?  It's an awesome, engaging movie about the history of numbers from ancient symbology through binary code.  I think it would fit right in with Math in Ancient Times.  Vi Hart has some wonderful YouTube videos about math in nature and the Fibonacci Sequence, as well. :-) 

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    February 25, 2013 at 8:01 AM

My son wants to make flexahexagons with Vi Hart.  She's amazing.  I like this creative math class--can I take it?  :)

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    February 25, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Thank you I will definately look into it.  My son right now is learning binary and other computer number bases.  

Quoting Jami134:

Oh!  Have you seen The Story of 1?  It's an awesome, engaging movie about the history of numbers from ancient symbology through binary code.  I think it would fit right in with Math in Ancient Times.  Vi Hart has some wonderful YouTube videos about math in nature and the Fibonacci Sequence, as well. :-) 

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    February 25, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Sure, come on over.  I live in central VA  though it might be a little far for you.  :-)  

Quoting hwblyf:

My son wants to make flexahexagons with Vi Hart.  She's amazing.  I like this creative math class--can I take it?  :)

• Pukalani79
    February 25, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Sounds interesting.  I might have to look into some of this for my kids.  Math is not a favorite subject around here.

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    February 25, 2013 at 3:31 PM

My sons have literally taught me to love math.  I am always looking for ways to do math differently.  Since I started researching for this class i found some really cool ideas.  I even found some books that graph cooridinates to make interesting designs and pictures.  

Quoting Pukalani79:

Sounds interesting.  I might have to look into some of this for my kids.  Math is not a favorite subject around here.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN