Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
MomofSCMJJA
I'm failing 6th grade math!
February 22, 2013 at 10:06 PM

This has been one of the most stressful homeschooling days I've ever had.  My son is in the sixth grade and we are in a section on statistics.  When  I was in school, statistics was a college course.  I knew a couple of schools that taught it as an honors course in high school.  Pre-algebra was only available ahead of high school for AP students in the 8th grade.  Here my son is in 6th grade and is learning Geometry and Algebra.  I was never good in math, so I've had to do brush up work ahead of him so I can show him how.  Well, then we hit statistics.  I didn't take statistics until college!  We spent 6 1/2 hours on math today and I've been tearing my hair out!  I finally called my mom, who taught middle school math for a couple of years, and she had never heard of a box and whisker plot either.  I called my college age daughter who is a math genius (I mean an Honors-college-calculus-in-11th grade math genius).  She had never heard of it.  I finally found a video on Youtube that explained it better than the book and teacher's guide and we managed to finally get past the first section.  Then we go on to the next one and hit another brick wall in using the box and whisker plot to find the interquartile range and the mean absolute deviation. (HUH?)  I finally called a few tutoring services and they were all prohibitively expensive.  I didn't know what to do.  After my 9th grader got home from school, I mentioned to her that we were struggling with it.  Her answer?  "Oh I know how to do that!  I could show him."  Grrr!

Replies

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    February 26, 2013 at 9:16 PM
    Yeah, whiskers are for cats. I'm 31, never heard of it, and pretty sure I'm never going to need it. Lol! That sounds horrible, doesn't it?
  • MomofSCMJJA
    February 27, 2013 at 11:56 AM

And there is the big disadvantage in "schooling at home" through an online school over  "homeschooling".  We use K12 online school, so I don't have as much authority as I would if we were simply homeschooling using our own curriculum choice.

Quoting QueenCreole313:

Can't you just skip that section? I didn't take Stat until college also but I don't remember it. If it was me, I would skip that and teach what I believe is important.  

• Tal0n
    by Tal0n
    February 27, 2013 at 2:53 PM

That's okay.

I failed 3rd grade math vocabulary.

*is ashamed*

I REMEMBER 3rd grade math, and what Chibi is doing (plus 4th and 5th...she works at her own pace) AND THAT AIN'T IT!!

• twyliatepeka
    February 27, 2013 at 3:38 PM
    My 11th grader doesn't even know what the heck that is!
  • Christie1952
    February 27, 2013 at 7:26 PM

If you want to upgrade your Math knowledge go to KahnAcademy on YouTube. The classes are great and the cost is Zero! I occasionally go there just to refresh my mind on many different subjects.

• MessedUpMama
    February 27, 2013 at 9:18 PM

I'll have to second or third Kahn Academy. They have wonderful videos that make some of these things easy to understand.

www.kahnacademy.org

Good luck.

• Walnutgrovefarm
    February 27, 2013 at 10:17 PM

I'm so sorry to hear you had such a hard day! Math is not my strong suit. My ds uses Math U See which comes with a dvd which I am thankful for. My dd is in high school also and will help my ds. Use your daughter as much as possible she probably enjoys it.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts