Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
OneDay.
Abeka math and L/A
by OneDay.
February 22, 2013 at 3:48 PM
I'm sorry, I'm mobile and can't do a search in the group I'm sure this is a curriculum that has been asked about many times.

I am looking into Abeka for 1st and 2nd grade math and language arts. I have heard a lot of people say good things about the language arts programs but any opinions I would love to hear.
The math I haven't heard about, both of my kids love math and seem to catch on quickly, so I would like something they won't get bored with.

Replies

• lucsch
    by lucsch
    February 23, 2013 at 12:12 AM

aBeka math is spiral, which I like. Nobody does real life math in a vacuum with only one type of problem. My dd was using a mastery program, which did help her learn her math facts; but she found it tedious and boring. I had part of a leftover aBeka 2nd grade math book, and she loved it. I could see she liked the variety of problems, so we switched to CLE (Christian Light Education). I like CLE because, past about 2nd grade, all the teaching is in the workbooks. With aBeka, you need the TM to get the full benefit.

For LA, I remember not caring for 4th grade aBeka. I couldn't say about the younger grades.

In general, I'm not a big fan of workbook or textbook teaching. For math and handwriting, I think it is necessary. For other subjects, there are more fun ways of teaching/learning. I am a big fan of Charlotte Mason and Ruth Beechick.

We use Heart of Dakota curriculum. I plan to use it throughout my dd's homeschooling.

• OneDay.
    by OneDay.
    February 23, 2013 at 3:22 PM
    Thank you

Quoting lucsch:

aBeka math is spiral, which I like. Nobody does real life math in a vacuum with only one type of problem. My dd was using a mastery program, which did help her learn her math facts; but she found it tedious and boring. I had part of a leftover aBeka 2nd grade math book, and she loved it. I could see she liked the variety of problems, so we switched to CLE (Christian Light Education). I like CLE because, past about 2nd grade, all the teaching is in the workbooks. With aBeka, you need the TM to get the full benefit.

For LA, I remember not caring for 4th grade aBeka. I couldn't say about the younger grades.

In general, I'm not a big fan of workbook or textbook teaching. For math and handwriting, I think it is necessary. For other subjects, there are more fun ways of teaching/learning. I am a big fan of Charlotte Mason and Ruth Beechick.

We use Heart of Dakota curriculum. I plan to use it throughout my dd's homeschooling.

• edelweiss23
    February 23, 2013 at 3:25 PM
    I am currently using 2nd grade for my 7 year old. It is slightly over her head, but she isn't bored and she has learned a lot.

I like it, it's a challenge for my 2nd grader and 4th grader.
  • Walnutgrovefarm
    February 23, 2013 at 9:00 PM

My ds did Abeka in the 3rd and 4th grade. He did the whole curriculum. I liked it. Math is repetitive and the language is pretty good. I recommend it. Now we added in different curriculum, but are looking at going back to Abeka for middle school and high school.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN