Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
LilrockerMama
I can't believe he did this
February 22, 2013 at 11:22 AM

My husband and I both work at hospitals so our schedules are sort of weird sometimes. I worked yesterday and he had the day off so it was his turn to make sure our son did his assignments and what not. Unfortunately, I am the one that takes care of 99% of all of it and he rarely is home to do it, because I have a set schedule and he does not. Anyhow, I had printed off two complete math workbooks from this website. I had them in a pile and I had his assignments in another pile and on top of it I had written directions of everything he was expected to do and how he was to do it. The workbooks I had printed out weren't even that close to it. I come home from work and my husband is going on about how our son has been having trouble staying focused and paying attention and trying to just hurry and this and that, which he is ADHD so it happens. Well then he hands me a bunch of papers and im like what is this? My husband gave him the TWO ENTIRE workbooks and had him do those. That was like a whole years worth of math probably (for a 2nd grader). Oh geez, and you are frustrated with him for not paying attention or trying? Poor guy. Needless to say, he has today off. =p

Replies

• JuicyRedTomato
    February 22, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Oh boy. Sounds like a communication break down. I could totally see how it happened. Poor ds...he was probably so frustrated. :(

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 22, 2013 at 11:33 AM

LOL Oops! Well, at least it's done for a while. XD

If I leave stuff for the kids to do, it's always more of the science experiment stuff or watching a video answering the questions kind of thing. Hubby comes at everything from a different angle and confuses the kids so the stuff I need to have done a certain way, I just leave for myself. Hubby is better at showing them how to use a computer or tool.

• irvinehiker
    February 22, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Oh my!!  Poor little guy.......... give him a week or two off at least.  Maybe just from math.  

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    February 22, 2013 at 11:55 AM
    Maybe next time have a meeting with your hubby about what needs done for the day & personally hand the work to him & make sure he knows that is all the work for the day nothing more.
  • debramommyof4
    February 22, 2013 at 12:11 PM

If my hubby has to teach I tell the kids and show them.  They have thier own folders so I put it in there and explain to them what to do, but they do not have ADHD so I dont know if that would help you.

• LilrockerMama
    February 22, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I've done this but he asks me to just write down what I want instead. Luckily, he isn't home to do it very often and I think he would know now that if it's a giant pile then that isn't it. lol Which I would have hoped he would know that before, but I was wrong lol

• LilrockerMama
    February 22, 2013 at 12:16 PM
    We are still new at this and I'm still trying to figure out what works best for him. I had a folder with everything and that didn't seem to help so I have no idea!

Quoting debramommyof4:

If my hubby has to teach I tell the kids and show them.  They have thier own folders so I put it in there and explain to them what to do, but they do not have ADHD so I dont know if that would help you.

• debramommyof4
    February 22, 2013 at 12:30 PM

It took us a few weeks but I put all of thier papers and told them every morning to pull out thier folders.  I have 5 kids I homeschool so we are really busy and my older two have to be more self sufficient.  Have you tried workboxes?  I know that works for some families.  I hope I am explaining it right, but they have a set of boxes with each lesson for the day in each in thier own box. with instruction put in each drawer or box or folders depending on what you have.

Quoting LilrockerMama:

We are still new at this and I'm still trying to figure out what works best for him. I had a folder with everything and that didn't seem to help so I have no idea!

Quoting debramommyof4:

• LilrockerMama
    February 22, 2013 at 1:11 PM
    Right now I'm just doing my one son, my daughter is only 2. I can't imagine doing 5 children, hats off to you! At first I had a binder with folders in it for each subject and I would pull assignments out of each and hand them to him for him to work on. But lately I'm trying to just have every day of the week folders with all the assignments just for that day. We are busy too though I work full time and I'm in nursing school so I'm trying to get it all organized. I'm open to different ideas but I just started the daily folder. The only time there is a problem with it is if my husband is doing it for the day, clearly. Lol sometimes he just doesn't think about things. He is that way with everything though.

Quoting debramommyof4:

It took us a few weeks but I put all of thier papers and told them every morning to pull out thier folders.  I have 5 kids I homeschool so we are really busy and my older two have to be more self sufficient.  Have you tried workboxes?  I know that works for some families.  I hope I am explaining it right, but they have a set of boxes with each lesson for the day in each in thier own box. with instruction put in each drawer or box or folders depending on what you have.

Quoting LilrockerMama:

Quoting debramommyof4:

• coala
    by coala
    February 22, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I feel so bad for your little guy!!!  We have 30 lessons in a master folder for each child.  I then go through and put the daily lessons in a folder for them.  If I have to be gone for the day it is all set up and ready to go for them.  Daddy wouldn't be able to put the folder together to save his life.  He gave one of my kids extra work on accident.  She was super excited b/c it cut down the work for the next day.  LOL  I would work to make sure the system you have in place works and then show hubby how to use it.  LOL

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN