Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
oredeb
What mistakes did you make when first starting to homeschool?
by oredeb
February 22, 2013 at 10:41 AM

what mistakes have you done while starting to homeschool? or are doing?

what did you do to make it better?

Replies

• motheroffour186
    February 27, 2013 at 9:06 AM
    Alot i wish i had someone to help me with hone school to walk me throw a lot of stuff answer of queations. I was letting the out of school at regular time 3:30pm. We were taking more outside because we were getting done to quick. I wish i know about the learning style test. Playing with them do not let them know we are doing school. Trying more on one time with them. The older two. I am doing all this with my two younger and i feel like they missed out so i am playing catch up.
  • oredeb
    by oredeb
    February 27, 2013 at 11:06 AM

hahaha amanda, i also made this mistake when i first started!!! poor child!!hahahahah

Quoting amandae21:

I thought homeschool needed to imitate a traditional school classroom.

We are now very child led and formal "curriculum" instruction is limited to a couple of hours per day, if that.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    February 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM

irvine this is exactly what i did to my oldest daughter(she was 5) hahahahah and so tired every night!

Quoting irvinehiker:

The first year I homeschooled I tried to do "school at home. "  We were very structured and everything was scheduled, including bathroom breaks.  I made my kids get up with an alarm and be dressed by 7 am.  It's kinda funny now, we are very relaxed.  Some days my son stays in his pj's all day lol.  

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    February 27, 2013 at 11:08 AM

hahahahahahahahahahah

Quoting WantedNameTaken:

We scheduled breaks, too!  I even tried to tell them how to make breaks more productive.  Glad we're over that!

Quoting irvinehiker:

The first year I homeschooled I tried to do "school at home. "  We were very structured and everything was scheduled, including bathroom breaks.  I made my kids get up with an alarm and be dressed by 7 am.  It's kinda funny now, we are very relaxed.  Some days my son stays in his pj's all day lol.  

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    February 27, 2013 at 11:11 AM

like this quote you made!!!!!

"Finally figured out our School was our own and we could do things our way "

Quoting kimpulliam:

Signed up for every field trip or activity was a big mistake for me. I also had to deschool my kids and myself. Finally figured out our School was our own and we could do things our way

• bluerooffarm
    February 27, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Well, since stopping the k12 stuff, I cut our school time in half.  And I guess it wasn't cut enough.  They are still tired and cranky by the end of the week and we got the entire Hooked on Phonics Kindergarten done since the January semester.  Ooops.  Also I have the problem of comparing the kids.  You know, at this point my oldest was doing this and why isn't my middle one doing it.  They need to go at their own pace without my judgement.  That's not what teacher/mommy's job is.  It's my job to foster THEIR learning, not to push my own stuff on them.  I need to trust that they will make leaps when they are ready and until then I'm here to give information, help them practice, and watch them grow at their own pace.  And boy is that so much harder than I ever thought it would be.

• superwoman0105
    February 27, 2013 at 2:08 PM

This is our first year homeschooling too. I decided to homeschool and did K12 because I had no clue what to do.  After a month of K12 my son was begging to go back to school cause he was so bored.  So we dropped it, got Abeka, which is the program his school used and it's been great from September 2012 until this week.  Now, he's bored with Abeka.  So, I have learned to ditch the lesson planning and just go with what he is interested in.  One of his homeschool friends uses Time for Learning and he tried a demo lesson and loved it.  So, now were are enrolled in Time for Learning.

Biggest Lesson: Our homeschool runs smoother if the children are enjoying the lessons and are happy so I do whatever it takes to make our homeschool have happiness and harmony--even if it means taking a few days or weeks off of "school".

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    February 27, 2013 at 5:00 PM

great lesson super!!!!!

Quoting superwoman0105:

This is our first year homeschooling too. I decided to homeschool and did K12 because I had no clue what to do.  After a month of K12 my son was begging to go back to school cause he was so bored.  So we dropped it, got Abeka, which is the program his school used and it's been great from September 2012 until this week.  Now, he's bored with Abeka.  So, I have learned to ditch the lesson planning and just go with what he is interested in.  One of his homeschool friends uses Time for Learning and he tried a demo lesson and loved it.  So, now were are enrolled in Time for Learning.

Biggest Lesson: Our homeschool runs smoother if the children are enjoying the lessons and are happy so I do whatever it takes to make our homeschool have happiness and harmony--even if it means taking a few days or weeks off of "school".

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts