Homeschooling Moms

amandae21
Beginning Life of Fred
February 21, 2013 at 11:00 PM

DD is in 3rd grade so she's ahead of the first book. I am going to look at each book's scope/spectrum... but it says that you should start at Apples even if your child is ahead. Any thoughs from families using this book series? Start at Apples or ahead?

Replies

• zandizane
    February 22, 2013 at 1:03 AM

bump

• ballerina.2006
    February 22, 2013 at 1:05 AM
    We started with Apples (still in it) but my dd is only 1st grade. We love the books though. I think they have you start at Apples regardless just to get the feel for how the curriculum works.
  • romacox
    by romacox
    February 22, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Do what is in the best interest of your child.  If you are sure that your  child is beyond what the directions say, ignore the directions in favor of not boring your child. 

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    February 22, 2013 at 8:25 AM

My son is in 3rd grade and we started at apples.  My son doesn't want to miss any of the stories.  It makes great review.  Maybe just go faster through the first book.  We love life of fred.  I like having variety in our math lessons.  

• BramblePatch
    February 22, 2013 at 9:48 AM
    I think its recommended to always start at the beginning.
  • amandae21
    February 22, 2013 at 10:35 AM

This is what I was thinking after the fact... she'll be missing a big chunk of the story line if we start in the middle.

Quoting jen2150:

My son is in 3rd grade and we started at apples.  My son doesn't want to miss any of the stories.  It makes great review.  Maybe just go faster through the first book.  We love life of fred.  I like having variety in our math lessons.  

• Silverkitty
    February 22, 2013 at 10:48 AM

We started with Fractions and Decimals since the Elementry series wasn't out at the time.  I plan on getting the books so my daughter can read the stories, but we have quit using it as a curriculum.  My daughter got frustrated with reading it and then doing the problems.  She isn't a discovery and learn type of child, she prefers direct directions.

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 22, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Can someone explain the basis of Life of Fred? How does it work?

• irvinehiker
    February 22, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Yes, please.  This is sounding interesting............

Quoting mem82:

Can someone explain the basis of Life of Fred? How does it work?

• bmw29
    by bmw29
    February 22, 2013 at 11:14 AM

We started with fractions but they didn't have all of those beginner books when we started. LOL

Homeschooling Moms