Homeschooling Moms

amandae21
Beginning Life of Fred
February 21, 2013 at 11:00 PM

DD is in 3rd grade so she's ahead of the first book. I am going to look at each book's scope/spectrum... but it says that you should start at Apples even if your child is ahead. Any thoughs from families using this book series? Start at Apples or ahead?

Replies

• haskins46563
    February 23, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I have a 3rd grader and 1st grader. We started with Apples and my son didn't mind at all that it was easy. We had a joke about it when the sums were always 7. Anyhow, I'd start there for the story. We are,on dogs now and it goes back and references the earlier books quite a bit.  As others said though, it's not a full curriculum, rather a fun supplement. My kids learn more science from them than math though so far.  

• bluerooffarm
    February 23, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Quoting Boobah:

I'd say apples. You can get through the whole series in like, a year. Lol. Apples took us 16-18 school days I think because that's how many chapters it had. I am not a fan. I think it is extremely over priced and doesn't teach anything.

How do you think it would be as the math warm-up each morning? only spending 10-15 minutes on it, then moving onto our Math U See work? I'm now wondering if it is worth the money.

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    February 23, 2013 at 3:48 PM
    Julia basically read it like a book. If you just want it as something fun, go for it. But I see people wanting to use it as an entire curric and I cannot see how. I hear it is better once it gets to the older stage, but elementary left much to be desired for me.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Boobah:

I'd say apples. You can get through the whole series in like, a year. Lol. Apples took us 16-18 school days I think because that's how many chapters it had. I am not a fan. I think it is extremely over priced and doesn't teach anything.

How do you think it would be as the math warm-up each morning? only spending 10-15 minutes on it, then moving onto our Math U See work? I'm now wondering if it is worth the money.

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    February 23, 2013 at 3:48 PM
    I told my husband it was an expensive way to learn 3+4!

Quoting haskins46563:

I have a 3rd grader and 1st grader. We started with Apples and my son didn't mind at all that it was easy. We had a joke about it when the sums were always 7. Anyhow, I'd start there for the story. We are,on dogs now and it goes back and references the earlier books quite a bit.  As others said though, it's not a full curriculum, rather a fun supplement. My kids learn more science from them than math though so far.  

• bluerooffarm
    February 23, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Thanks!  It looked more like a good review/warm up to me, but with others making it sound like their curriculum I wondered if I had read its write up wrong! 

Quoting Boobah:

Julia basically read it like a book. If you just want it as something fun, go for it. But I see people wanting to use it as an entire curric and I cannot see how. I hear it is better once it gets to the older stage, but elementary left much to be desired for me.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Boobah:

• amandae21
    February 23, 2013 at 9:24 PM

My DD has had trouble with various approaches to my teaching math. I'm hoping that through reading the books, she might "get it" better. I can teach her something, division with remainders for instance, and she just can't get it. I'll write 10 on the board and she'll get 3-4 of them wrong every time. I've tried manipulatives and lines/circles on the board.

Quoting Boobah:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Boobah:

Homeschooling Moms