Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
amandae21
Beginning Life of Fred
February 21, 2013 at 11:00 PM

DD is in 3rd grade so she's ahead of the first book. I am going to look at each book's scope/spectrum... but it says that you should start at Apples even if your child is ahead. Any thoughs from families using this book series? Start at Apples or ahead?

Replies

• haskins46563
    February 23, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I have a 3rd grader and 1st grader. We started with Apples and my son didn't mind at all that it was easy. We had a joke about it when the sums were always 7. Anyhow, I'd start there for the story. We are,on dogs now and it goes back and references the earlier books quite a bit.  As others said though, it's not a full curriculum, rather a fun supplement. My kids learn more science from them than math though so far.  

• bluerooffarm
    February 23, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Quoting Boobah:

I'd say apples. You can get through the whole series in like, a year. Lol. Apples took us 16-18 school days I think because that's how many chapters it had. I am not a fan. I think it is extremely over priced and doesn't teach anything.

How do you think it would be as the math warm-up each morning? only spending 10-15 minutes on it, then moving onto our Math U See work? I'm now wondering if it is worth the money.

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    February 23, 2013 at 3:48 PM
    Julia basically read it like a book. If you just want it as something fun, go for it. But I see people wanting to use it as an entire curric and I cannot see how. I hear it is better once it gets to the older stage, but elementary left much to be desired for me.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Boobah:

I'd say apples. You can get through the whole series in like, a year. Lol. Apples took us 16-18 school days I think because that's how many chapters it had. I am not a fan. I think it is extremely over priced and doesn't teach anything.

How do you think it would be as the math warm-up each morning? only spending 10-15 minutes on it, then moving onto our Math U See work? I'm now wondering if it is worth the money.

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    February 23, 2013 at 3:48 PM
    I told my husband it was an expensive way to learn 3+4!

Quoting haskins46563:

I have a 3rd grader and 1st grader. We started with Apples and my son didn't mind at all that it was easy. We had a joke about it when the sums were always 7. Anyhow, I'd start there for the story. We are,on dogs now and it goes back and references the earlier books quite a bit.  As others said though, it's not a full curriculum, rather a fun supplement. My kids learn more science from them than math though so far.  

• bluerooffarm
    February 23, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Thanks!  It looked more like a good review/warm up to me, but with others making it sound like their curriculum I wondered if I had read its write up wrong! 

Quoting Boobah:

Julia basically read it like a book. If you just want it as something fun, go for it. But I see people wanting to use it as an entire curric and I cannot see how. I hear it is better once it gets to the older stage, but elementary left much to be desired for me.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Boobah:

• amandae21
    February 23, 2013 at 9:24 PM

My DD has had trouble with various approaches to my teaching math. I'm hoping that through reading the books, she might "get it" better. I can teach her something, division with remainders for instance, and she just can't get it. I'll write 10 on the board and she'll get 3-4 of them wrong every time. I've tried manipulatives and lines/circles on the board.

Quoting Boobah:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Boobah:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN