Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
blueyedbaker
make your own vs. store bought
February 20, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I'm really into this whole idea of making my own curriculum for free (well not free, minus paper and ink and time) but I'm not sure if it will be that much less expensive. I have 2 girls, one going into 2nd and the other 6th. I just got done printing off a science curriculum for 2nd grade (which looks good) and it has cost about 35 bucks, for ink and paper so far. Now if I bought the book and work book not sure but used it might be about the same. I'll have to look into it to see if it's worth all this time and effort doing the research, trying to find the right worksheets and hoping there is enough to last for the subject. 

Your thoughts...

Replies

• bether89
    March 21, 2013 at 2:51 PM

It is often cheaper for me to buy the curriculum than printing it on my printer.  It is also less work and time involved too.

• blueyedbaker
    March 21, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Thanks I will have to look on Ebay. The books are like new I never had her write in the work books because I was planning on letting my youngest use them. 

What is WTM forums?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Ebay or the WTM forums.

Calvert generally sells like hotcakes if you price it right.

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I wouldn't know where to start to sell them! Any ideas?

Quoting mem82:

Sale the unused books, then. You'll make a pretty penny. 8)

Quoting blueyedbaker:

When I got the Calvert curriculum last year I would copy the pages she needed that day. She could write in the books but I thought I'd have my youngest use the books too so I didn't want writing in them. Now I probably won't have my youngest use the books, it has cost more!! It's awful.

Quoting oredeb:

if i have workbooks i have the kids use notebooks to write the answers in, so i can use the workbooks  again next year, but i wouldnt copy a whole workbook, yes i think it would cost the same or more!!

• blueyedbaker
    March 21, 2013 at 2:54 PM

I know what you mean. I printed off my girls Science curriculum for their next grade and jeez it was a lot and then to put it all together and into a binder! I'm not sure if I want to do that again, and I think it was more to do it that way than to buy the books!!! (but I do like the curriculum, and I am proud that I actually put it together!)

Quoting bether89:

It is often cheaper for me to buy the curriculum than printing it on my printer.  It is also less work and time involved too.

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    March 21, 2013 at 5:11 PM
    I think every grade is $40 through her. But it's not a traditional curriculum, it is the Waldorf method. Still thorough, just believes kids learn in a "whole" way vs the traditional way and also believes kids are more ready to learn certain things at certain stages of their lives vs how the traditional way has kids learning everything so very early. The Waldorf method believes forcing kids to learn academics so early in life causes a reaction of something else not happening for them. It's hard to explain, but if you were interested in it a good place to start is www.waldorfessentials.com. That is also where I get my curriculum. We just decided to honor childhood and the innocence of it all for a little longer. That doesn't mean we don't educate, Julia is a very smart girl. She catches on super fast, but she is mentally ready for it.

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Wow 40 bucks? That's great! What grade is that for?

Quoting Boobah:

My current curric is $40 and is complete (yay!) but when I did traditional I got most online used or on sale. Some things I got at the convention because it was a few $ cheaper and no shipping.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN