Homeschooling Moms

blueyedbaker
make your own vs. store bought
February 20, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I'm really into this whole idea of making my own curriculum for free (well not free, minus paper and ink and time) but I'm not sure if it will be that much less expensive. I have 2 girls, one going into 2nd and the other 6th. I just got done printing off a science curriculum for 2nd grade (which looks good) and it has cost about 35 bucks, for ink and paper so far. Now if I bought the book and work book not sure but used it might be about the same. I'll have to look into it to see if it's worth all this time and effort doing the research, trying to find the right worksheets and hoping there is enough to last for the subject. 

Your thoughts...

Replies

• lucsch
    by lucsch
    February 23, 2013 at 12:19 AM

I buy curriculum, with a few exceptions. The one I use is non-consumable for the most part, so I can resell it and get about half of the new value back. I try to buy used, too, so sometimes it hardly costs me anything in comparison to the new price.

• blueyedbaker
    March 21, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I wouldn't know where to start to sell them! Any ideas?

Quoting mem82:

Sale the unused books, then. You'll make a pretty penny. 8)

Quoting blueyedbaker:

When I got the Calvert curriculum last year I would copy the pages she needed that day. She could write in the books but I thought I'd have my youngest use the books too so I didn't want writing in them. Now I probably won't have my youngest use the books, it has cost more!! It's awful.

Quoting oredeb:

if i have workbooks i have the kids use notebooks to write the answers in, so i can use the workbooks  again next year, but i wouldnt copy a whole workbook, yes i think it would cost the same or more!!

• mem82
    by mem82
    March 21, 2013 at 12:56 PM

There are homeschool trading sites. Ebay sells them. Places like that. Craigslist. I know here in Columbus a few groups do large book sales at the end of the school year.

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

When I got the Calvert curriculum last year I would copy the pages she needed that day. She could write in the books but I thought I'd have my youngest use the books too so I didn't want writing in them. Now I probably won't have my youngest use the books, it has cost more!! It's awful.

Quoting oredeb:

if i have workbooks i have the kids use notebooks to write the answers in, so i can use the workbooks  again next year, but i wouldnt copy a whole workbook, yes i think it would cost the same or more!!

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    March 21, 2013 at 1:00 PM
    My current curric is $40 and is complete (yay!) but when I did traditional I got most online used or on sale. Some things I got at the convention because it was a few $ cheaper and no shipping.
  • kirbymom
    March 21, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I love the fact that I can make my own curriculum. I can by it as needed and I make it from my own visions of what I want the kids to learn and how I want it presented to them.  It is sooo awesome to have that flexability. :) 

• blueyedbaker
    March 21, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I'll have to search and see what I can find out.

Quoting mem82:

There are homeschool trading sites. Ebay sells them. Places like that. Craigslist. I know here in Columbus a few groups do large book sales at the end of the school year.

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting oredeb:

• blueyedbaker
    March 21, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I really wish my state was that flexible. I always have that darn state test lurking in the back of my mind all year. I have to make sure that I cover the same stuff that they are teaching in PS.

Quoting kirbymom:

I love the fact that I can make my own curriculum. I can by it as needed and I make it from my own visions of what I want the kids to learn and how I want it presented to them.  It is sooo awesome to have that flexability. :) 

• blueyedbaker
    March 21, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Wow 40 bucks? That's great! What grade is that for?

Quoting Boobah:

My current curric is $40 and is complete (yay!) but when I did traditional I got most online used or on sale. Some things I got at the convention because it was a few $ cheaper and no shipping.

• kirbymom
    March 21, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I know what you're talking about. I do teach the basics that the ps's denad. I just do it my way.  And my way is tough and has a higher standard than the public school system. I don't except just effort. I make sure my kids know the material inside and out.  So if we have to re-do, I just add that re-do work in with the other work and keep doing it until it is mastered all the while they are mastering their other work too. So, if I am ever questioned, I can show that what I do is better than what they do.  And the times that I have been "checked" on, they have learned this lesson and walked away with a respect they didn't have before they questioned us. 

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I really wish my state was that flexible. I always have that darn state test lurking in the back of my mind all year. I have to make sure that I cover the same stuff that they are teaching in PS.

Quoting kirbymom:

• AutymsMommy
    March 21, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Ebay or the WTM forums.

Calvert generally sells like hotcakes if you price it right.

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting oredeb:

Homeschooling Moms