Homeschooling Moms

blueyedbaker
make your own vs. store bought
February 20, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I'm really into this whole idea of making my own curriculum for free (well not free, minus paper and ink and time) but I'm not sure if it will be that much less expensive. I have 2 girls, one going into 2nd and the other 6th. I just got done printing off a science curriculum for 2nd grade (which looks good) and it has cost about 35 bucks, for ink and paper so far. Now if I bought the book and work book not sure but used it might be about the same. I'll have to look into it to see if it's worth all this time and effort doing the research, trying to find the right worksheets and hoping there is enough to last for the subject. 

Your thoughts...

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 21, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Sale the unused books, then. You'll make a pretty penny. 8)

Quoting blueyedbaker:

When I got the Calvert curriculum last year I would copy the pages she needed that day. She could write in the books but I thought I'd have my youngest use the books too so I didn't want writing in them. Now I probably won't have my youngest use the books, it has cost more!! It's awful.

Quoting oredeb:

if i have workbooks i have the kids use notebooks to write the answers in, so i can use the workbooks  again next year, but i wouldnt copy a whole workbook, yes i think it would cost the same or more!!

• TigerofMu
    February 21, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I think it depends if you for sure know you're getting what you want, if you have the time and energy to search and print everything, etc. 

I have a deal at our library, because I make so many school or church related copies she only charges me 5 cents a page, so I usually print there instead of at home.  If I take my own paper (which I have done for big mailers or things), then it's 3 cents.  You might shop around and see if there is a place where you can print things cheaper (and with less wear and tear on your machine) than at home, or see if you can find the books that you are looking for at a discounted price or from a used sale.

• kirbymom
    February 21, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I use used books and websites and put together a written, copied lesson that I want the kids to use or follow. I will even write my own based on what I have seen in other books and or websites or even just from my own memory.  I will also use activity books from my local stores as well. My older kids use a computer and i sane their work to either a usb device or a cd, to keep track of their work. I also print.

So, it is a combination of all of the above that I do to help keep the costs of buying curriculums. Of course I am home schooling 6 kids too. lol   The only thing that we use the most of right now is paper and pensils for the 3 younger kids. 

• paris2lmp
    February 21, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I am so scared that I would buy a curriculum and then find that we don't like it or it doesn't work for us!  I just make my curriculum as I go along at the moment.  It is time consuming, but I don't print anything until I am ready to use it for that day's work.  If I think I will use something, then I save it in either word or adobe reader.  This has worked pretty good for us so far.  I also browse the dollar store for workbooks, reading books, craft supplies etc.  I'm there about once a week anyway.  I started with an online curriculum, but quickly decided it wasn't worth the money.  For us making our own curiculum is worth it financially, because even if it works out to the same costs in the end, this allows us to spread it out through the year.

• chlippr77
    February 22, 2013 at 7:47 AM
    Try Printer Filling Station.com. Ink was killing me, too. But by refilling the cartridges, I save quite a bit. For about what I pay for one cartridge I can refill it around ten times. It has saved us a lot.
  • gacgbaker
    February 22, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I'v seen them before there but I don't think they go up to 6th grade, do they? 

Quoting LongBeachLiz:

We use spectrum and just add to it. I got vocab grade 4 on amazon for $9.00.
    They sell them at Barnes ans noble too (along with others). Sometimes they have coupons and you can buy with those.

I am doing this as well- the spectrum books give me worksheets and a "jumping off" point to see what they need to work on and what they get- then I search for other assignment ideas to help with weak areas or tie into the units we are doing.  

• motheroffour186
    February 22, 2013 at 12:36 PM
    I think hands on cause sometimes i.change things for the with the workbook i will that i am behind with everything and how do i get on track that just me i did a learning style test and i want to do a curriculum just for them to understand a lot of hands on things my oldest learn thru games will found word muchers.
  • blueyedbaker
    February 22, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I just checked it out. It'll cost me 28.70 for 8 refills. Not bad at all! Have you ever had any problems refilling it or making a mess inside your computer?

Quoting chlippr77:

Try Printer Filling Station.com. Ink was killing me, too. But by refilling the cartridges, I save quite a bit. For about what I pay for one cartridge I can refill it around ten times. It has saved us a lot.

• KrissyKC
    February 22, 2013 at 2:23 PM

It's not worth my time to do that.   For example...

We love rod and staff english.   The set, which includes tests, workbooks, student text, and teacher text... is about $55 if memory serves me right, might be $65.   I can turn around and sell it used for about $20, especially if we handwrite the tests instead of write on them.   It's not worth it to try to print all that out.  Besides, I REALLY like having the teacher text.   My kids learn it so much better that way.

• lifesadream83
    February 23, 2013 at 12:15 AM

I usually purchase our curriculum flat out.  I have a dd8 in 3rd and a newborn and this year  I even went back and repurchased all the workbooks for dd2 so that I have them.  In some cases it is cheaper to print in others I order the workbooks.  I purchased a Composer study for music for next year from confessions of a homeschool mom and I dl'ed a book from google books for free for a writing curriculum.  I had both printed and bound through fedex and it was printed bound and shipped cheaper then it would have been to print it out.  So I think you just have to do the math.  For example, I used RSO Science. The student pages cost 31$ it was cheaper for me to just photo copy the original on draft with my printer this year then to purchase the refill pages.  However, it was cheaper to purchase the 2 15$ workbooks for math then to copy them.  (My printer is also a copier.)

Homeschooling Moms