Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
blueyedbaker
make your own vs. store bought
February 20, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I'm really into this whole idea of making my own curriculum for free (well not free, minus paper and ink and time) but I'm not sure if it will be that much less expensive. I have 2 girls, one going into 2nd and the other 6th. I just got done printing off a science curriculum for 2nd grade (which looks good) and it has cost about 35 bucks, for ink and paper so far. Now if I bought the book and work book not sure but used it might be about the same. I'll have to look into it to see if it's worth all this time and effort doing the research, trying to find the right worksheets and hoping there is enough to last for the subject. 

Your thoughts...

Replies

• hipmomto3
    February 21, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I'm looking at doing piecemeal next year (getting started now because I would like to make my own lesson plans so I can use it like a 'boxed' curriculum LOL). After three years of using Sonlight, and being annoyed by the books that I flat out do not use and the large portions of the lesson plans I just skip entirely, I think we are going to do a DIY of sorts. I'm still going to use a lot of the Sonlight materials, but not buying the instructor's guide or ALL the books. 

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    February 21, 2013 at 9:51 AM

if i have workbooks i have the kids use notebooks to write the answers in, so i can use the workbooks  again next year, but i wouldnt copy a whole workbook, yes i think it would cost the same or more!!

• Mommy2Emmau
    February 21, 2013 at 1:15 PM
    Thanks! I have a friend who orders everything used, except workbooks. I just hadn't had a chance to check out her resources yet. I'm gonna start buying stuff soon so it's not last minute... We're in the middle of K4 now.

Quoting starbeck96:

Yeah, we don't do DVD's either.  I don't think that my daughter would enjoy it because she is super hyper and has a hard time sitting still.  We break up our day into 15-20 increments throughout the day.  I almost have her to the point that she is doing most of her worksheets independently.  This gives me more time to do my housework and to help the boys or grade papers.

I get alot of her stuff from Ebay and http://www.homeschoolclassifieds.com/.  I have found a lot of great deals, usually at least 35% off.  The only things I will be buying from Abeka are the workbooks and test/quiz books. 

This year I made a huge mistake ordering all the teachers stuff.  I don't even use them.  So for first grade I am not buying any of the teacher's editions.  I am buying the curriculum guides but only so I will know what books to read with what worksheets and stuff like that.  I will not buy the other teacher's keys or anything like that.

For kindergarten, I pretty much just went at her pace.  We did both K4 and K5 since Abeka is so far advanced.  I didn't want her to be overwhelmed by starting with K5 stuff right off since we didn't do preschool.

I really don't think that the curriculum guides or teacher keys are necessary.  A few of the tests and workbook pages will ask "write the blend that your teacher says" so I would just look at what she has been doing on past worksheets and use that as my guide for what blend to use.  If you want the curriculums, so everything is pretty much laid out, then definitely look at ebay or homeschoolclassifieds.  Another website to use is http://www.exodusbooks.com/.  They have a flat shipping rate of 4.95 so if you are buying alot of things used from them, then it can be pretty cheap. 

I also will go to the Abeka materials display meeting to order what I need.  I have to drive an hour to get to the closest meeting, but it will save me the 12% shipping (since shipping is free when you order at the displays) and I will automatically save 5% (if you spend over 150.00).  So I will easily save 30.00.  We will just make a field trip day out of it so we are not going just for that.

I hope this helps.  If you need anything else, just let me know.  I'm sorry if it all sounds jumbled up, but I have an upper respiratory infection and the cough meds I took has gotten me feeling a little loopy..lol.

Quoting Mommy2Emmau:

OMG! I could really use some of your experience! : ) I am currently using the Abeka K4 DVD curriculum, but DD is NOT loving it. She is doing well, but is super bored and has gone from being excited about school to fighting me on it everyday.

Anyway long story short, we are done with DVDs after this year. I could really use some info on where you find your used stuff and what teacher books aren't necessary (as I've heard some of them are a waste of money).

Quoting starbeck96:

I have found that it is cheaper for me to buy the curriculum.  But my ink is 15.00 for black ink and it only prints around 250 pages (using low ink selection).  So it is very expensive for me to print stuff.

I will spend about 150.00 for my daughter's full curriculum and that's using Abeka.  I just buy everything I can on Ebay and Homeschool classifieds.  This has saved me a ton.

I spent/will spend about 350.00 on the boys (they will be in 10th grade), but they are taking Algebra 2 and Geometry next year and they are taking Biology (I bought the Lab DVDs and it was 130.00).  I still saved about 50% of what I would have spent if I had bought everything new.  The only things I am buying new are the test and quiz student books.

I also sell the books from the previous school year, so this helps offset the cost every year.  Out of pocket I probably only spend a total of around 300.00 or less.

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 21, 2013 at 1:36 PM
    I use a combination of work books and printing my own. The best thing I did was buy a laser printer. I buy ink twice a year and I print my heart out. Then my mom, a day care teacher, comes and prints quite a bit.
  • starbeck96
    February 21, 2013 at 1:38 PM

You are welcome!

I have been able to buy the boys tests/quiz books used for a few subjects.  They might be missing one quiz or test, so I just used the teacher key to make the one missing.

I started buying the beginning of this month.  I am nearly finished with the boys.  All I like is geometry and all their test/quiz books.  I have not bought much of my daughter's stuff at all.  I have bought a few teacher's curriculums but i will buy all of her workbooks at the Abeka meeting.

Quoting Mommy2Emmau:

Thanks! I have a friend who orders everything used, except workbooks. I just hadn't had a chance to check out her resources yet. I'm gonna start buying stuff soon so it's not last minute... We're in the middle of K4 now.

Quoting starbeck96:

Yeah, we don't do DVD's either.  I don't think that my daughter would enjoy it because she is super hyper and has a hard time sitting still.  We break up our day into 15-20 increments throughout the day.  I almost have her to the point that she is doing most of her worksheets independently.  This gives me more time to do my housework and to help the boys or grade papers.

I get alot of her stuff from Ebay and http://www.homeschoolclassifieds.com/.  I have found a lot of great deals, usually at least 35% off.  The only things I will be buying from Abeka are the workbooks and test/quiz books. 

This year I made a huge mistake ordering all the teachers stuff.  I don't even use them.  So for first grade I am not buying any of the teacher's editions.  I am buying the curriculum guides but only so I will know what books to read with what worksheets and stuff like that.  I will not buy the other teacher's keys or anything like that.

For kindergarten, I pretty much just went at her pace.  We did both K4 and K5 since Abeka is so far advanced.  I didn't want her to be overwhelmed by starting with K5 stuff right off since we didn't do preschool.

I really don't think that the curriculum guides or teacher keys are necessary.  A few of the tests and workbook pages will ask "write the blend that your teacher says" so I would just look at what she has been doing on past worksheets and use that as my guide for what blend to use.  If you want the curriculums, so everything is pretty much laid out, then definitely look at ebay or homeschoolclassifieds.  Another website to use is http://www.exodusbooks.com/.  They have a flat shipping rate of 4.95 so if you are buying alot of things used from them, then it can be pretty cheap. 

I also will go to the Abeka materials display meeting to order what I need.  I have to drive an hour to get to the closest meeting, but it will save me the 12% shipping (since shipping is free when you order at the displays) and I will automatically save 5% (if you spend over 150.00).  So I will easily save 30.00.  We will just make a field trip day out of it so we are not going just for that.

I hope this helps.  If you need anything else, just let me know.  I'm sorry if it all sounds jumbled up, but I have an upper respiratory infection and the cough meds I took has gotten me feeling a little loopy..lol.

Quoting Mommy2Emmau:

OMG! I could really use some of your experience! : ) I am currently using the Abeka K4 DVD curriculum, but DD is NOT loving it. She is doing well, but is super bored and has gone from being excited about school to fighting me on it everyday.

Anyway long story short, we are done with DVDs after this year. I could really use some info on where you find your used stuff and what teacher books aren't necessary (as I've heard some of them are a waste of money).

Quoting starbeck96:

I have found that it is cheaper for me to buy the curriculum.  But my ink is 15.00 for black ink and it only prints around 250 pages (using low ink selection).  So it is very expensive for me to print stuff.

I will spend about 150.00 for my daughter's full curriculum and that's using Abeka.  I just buy everything I can on Ebay and Homeschool classifieds.  This has saved me a ton.

I spent/will spend about 350.00 on the boys (they will be in 10th grade), but they are taking Algebra 2 and Geometry next year and they are taking Biology (I bought the Lab DVDs and it was 130.00).  I still saved about 50% of what I would have spent if I had bought everything new.  The only things I am buying new are the test and quiz student books.

I also sell the books from the previous school year, so this helps offset the cost every year.  Out of pocket I probably only spend a total of around 300.00 or less.

• ColtsFan1912
    February 21, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I like my boxed curriculum. I'm not quite brave enough to make my own yet lol.

• blueyedbaker
    February 21, 2013 at 2:53 PM

What did the laser printer run you? I think I need to get a new one just because this one I have, even though it's new, runs out of ink so fast I can't stand it!

Quoting mem82:

I use a combination of work books and printing my own. The best thing I did was buy a laser printer. I buy ink twice a year and I print my heart out. Then my mom, a day care teacher, comes and prints quite a bit.

• MamaDearie
    February 21, 2013 at 3:00 PM

I was thinking the same thing. I had looked into Connect the Thoughts as a full curriculum but you have to print the entire thing yourself. Between the price of the curriculum, the price of the ink, and the price of the paper (and binders to organize it all), it would have been way cheaper to buy a different full curriculum. I had then looked into free resources and again discovered that the price of printing made it cost prohibitive.

If only I could find a boxed curriculum that actually worked for us- lol! I'll be putting it together myself but with pre-printed components from different areas (Singapore for math, Michael Clay Thomspn for ELA, Noeo for science, US History Through Children's Literature and American History Series for US History, etc. for my then-to-be 4th grade DS and Five In A Row, AlphPhonics for phonics, A Reason for Handwriting for writing, Singapore for math,  Magic School Bus science kits for science, etc. for then-to-be kindergartner DD). 

• blueyedbaker
    February 21, 2013 at 3:02 PM

When I got the Calvert curriculum last year I would copy the pages she needed that day. She could write in the books but I thought I'd have my youngest use the books too so I didn't want writing in them. Now I probably won't have my youngest use the books, it has cost more!! It's awful.

Quoting oredeb:

if i have workbooks i have the kids use notebooks to write the answers in, so i can use the workbooks  again next year, but i wouldnt copy a whole workbook, yes i think it would cost the same or more!!

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 21, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I want to say it was $120/130 on sale at Best Buy. 8)

Quoting blueyedbaker:

What did the laser printer run you? I think I need to get a new one just because this one I have, even though it's new, runs out of ink so fast I can't stand it!

Quoting mem82:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts