Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
amandae21
Do you know who Betsy Ross is?
February 20, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Embarrassing moment...

We're making pillows in my co-op sewing class. One student asks me to help her sketch a perfect star. I showed her how to do it (where you draw the side lines of an A then cut across, over and down). She said, "No, a star like Betsy Ross. Do you have a square piece of paper?" As I'm folding/cutting a regular piece of paper into a square, she continues to talk about the shape of Betsy Ross's stars. At some point in our conversation I say, "Betsy Ross... I'm not sure who that is. Oh, you mean the designer?" Thinking the clothing designer Betsey Johnson. Not only am I clueless about American History, but also fashion lol. 

embarrassed

Be honest, do you know offhand who she is? Tell me I'm not the only one!

Replies

• blueyedbaker
    February 20, 2013 at 4:03 PM

The only reason I know who she is, is because I like history...and we studied about her this year. I bet you most people don't know though!

It's funny when kids tell you something and you have no idea what they are talking about. I love doing that to my husband. I always have my girls tell him what they are learning about. My oldest always gets him. She'll ask him questions and he has no idea the answer. I love showing them off to him! My girls are so smart (just like their Mama, and my husband doesn't think my girls should be home schooled, I think they are learning more here than in PS!!!)

• amandae21
    February 20, 2013 at 4:08 PM

LOL this same girl has dumbfounded me more than a few times. She's incredibly smart. She also has Aspergers... she doesn't seem to notice that she's embarrassed me. I told her happy late birthday a few weeks ago. She replied with, "Thank you. However, I believe the correct term is belated."

Quoting blueyedbaker:

The only reason I know who she is, is because I like history...and we studied about her this year. I bet you most people don't know though!

It's funny when kids tell you something and you have no idea what they are talking about. I love doing that to my husband. I always have my girls tell him what they are learning about. My oldest always gets him. She'll ask him questions and he has no idea the answer. I love showing them off to him! My girls are so smart (just like their Mama, and my husband doesn't think my girls should be home schooled, I think they are learning more here than in PS!!!)

• blueyedbaker
    February 20, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Oh that's too funny!

Quoting amandae21:

LOL this same girl has dumbfounded me more than a few times. She's incredibly smart. She also has Aspergers... she doesn't seem to notice that she's embarrassed me. I told her happy late birthday a few weeks ago. She replied with, "Thank you. However, I believe the correct term is belated."

Quoting blueyedbaker:

• Ruthmom802
    February 20, 2013 at 4:24 PM

My son just had a lesson on her last week... But you're right, a lot of ppl don't know her either. Don't sweat it...

• edelweiss23
    February 20, 2013 at 4:25 PM
    Yes myself and both my girls know who she is. They love history.
  • momto3infl
    February 20, 2013 at 4:27 PM

I totally know who she is. 

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 20, 2013 at 4:28 PM
    Lol I have known since I was a kid but I was pretty into history. I remember watching a show on her.
  • gacgbaker
    February 20, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I do know who she is, but I have totally had those moments of saying "um who???"  Don't worry, we all have been there on one subject or another!

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    February 20, 2013 at 5:02 PM

I do know who she is & I also know that it isn't really known if she made the first flag or not. Read about it here.

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    February 20, 2013 at 11:25 PM
    I know a little about her.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts