Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
CowgirlMama0508
Pulling them out mid year??
February 20, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Ok, our original plan was to let the girls finish this school year in public schools (Til may) and start homeschooling this fall. But my youngest daughter is STILL not being corrected on spelling her name (at home she does it perfect, but every paper I get from school says Maison. Instead of madison) my oldest came home yesterday calling her brother a "dork turd" I'm like where did you learn that? She said her PE coach calls them dork turds when they don't do it right or when they don't listen. I'm really tired of them putting up with that..I'm really wanting to pull them out now instead of later. Have any of you done that? How did the kids adjust? Mine know we are homeschooling next year. If we do pull them now, would you start their curriculum (now) for next year? Or keep them with stuff they are doing in their current grade?

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    February 20, 2013 at 12:54 PM
    I pulled my oldest mid year & we deschooled until the fall.
  • bluerooffarm
    February 20, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I pulled my oldest out of public school mid year last year (December) and put him in a k12 Virtual academy.  I pulled both my oldest and middle boy out of the virtual academy last week.  I am pulling together a curriculum that will stay more on their level and also a bit of child led learning instead of dipping much into the curriculum materials I bought for next year.  They really need a break after the way the schooling ended.  (Both of them "failed" their AIMsweb tests, although they had improvement and are doing very well according to the woman who administered the test.)  We are trying out some lapbook ideas, reading some fun books, journaling, and practising the things I thought the school was screwing up. 

• CowgirlMama0508
    February 20, 2013 at 1:47 PM
    That's what I'm leaning towards. They are home sick today and are jumping right into some math worksheets I printed and reading. My youngest is tracing letters and numbers. They are more relaxed today then they are after school (homework, chores, dinner, baths and bedtime) it's awesome. I'm going to talk with DH tonight and see what he thinks

Quoting usmom3:

• blueyedbaker
    February 20, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I pulled my oldest out after 20 days of 3rd grade. I couldn't take any more PS crap. She wanted to be home schooled since kindergarten so she was fine with it. I took a month and focused on her, we did reading and math during that time but we had fun. I had bought an all in one curriculum book (which I will never do again I need plans all done!). I was going to wait and pull her out until the thanksgiving break and focus on finding the curriculum for her but I couldn't leave her in that school any longer. It was the best choice I ever made. She was getting to be a nasty little girl, I hardly recognized her anymore and now she is the kid she should be.

• CowgirlMama0508
    February 20, 2013 at 2:35 PM
    Do you think i should pull them out now? Or wait Til spring break? (Mid march)

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I pulled my oldest out after 20 days of 3rd grade. I couldn't take any more PS crap. She wanted to be home schooled since kindergarten so she was fine with it. I took a month and focused on her, we did reading and math during that time but we had fun. I had bought an all in one curriculum book (which I will never do again I need plans all done!). I was going to wait and pull her out until the thanksgiving break and focus on finding the curriculum for her but I couldn't leave her in that school any longer. It was the best choice I ever made. She was getting to be a nasty little girl, I hardly recognized her anymore and now she is the kid she should be.

• blueyedbaker
    February 20, 2013 at 3:00 PM

What do your kids say? Do they want to wait or get out now? With my daughter she didn't want to stay in so it was a very easy decision for me. I didn't see any reason to have her stay in any longer really what was a couple months. It was just going to do more damage. There were 2 bomb threats and on top of that her teacher was a total nut job! It made my decision easy!

If you just want them out then I'd pull them out now why wait. You can de-school them while you look for curriculum. It's is a little scary at first but stick with it it'll get easier I promise and the ladies on here have so much information. Just ask the questions and you'll get some great answers!!!

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    February 20, 2013 at 3:09 PM

One of the first things that I tell all new & prospective homeschoolers is to deschool for at least one month for every year in a public or privet school to help them & their children decompress & distress from the school mind!

Quoting CowgirlMama0508:

That's what I'm leaning towards. They are home sick today and are jumping right into some math worksheets I printed and reading. My youngest is tracing letters and numbers. They are more relaxed today then they are after school (homework, chores, dinner, baths and bedtime) it's awesome. I'm going to talk with DH tonight and see what he thinks

Quoting usmom3:

• CowgirlMama0508
    February 20, 2013 at 3:21 PM
    They want to do it now! Lol. They asked if we could homeschool forever lol

Quoting blueyedbaker:

What do your kids say? Do they want to wait or get out now? With my daughter she didn't want to stay in so it was a very easy decision for me. I didn't see any reason to have her stay in any longer really what was a couple months. It was just going to do more damage. There were 2 bomb threats and on top of that her teacher was a total nut job! It made my decision easy!

If you just want them out then I'd pull them out now why wait. You can de-school them while you look for curriculum. It's is a little scary at first but stick with it it'll get easier I promise and the ladies on here have so much information. Just ask the questions and you'll get some great answers!!!

• blueyedbaker
    February 20, 2013 at 3:33 PM

What's the difference then, I'd pull them out. Why keep them there when they don't want to be there and you don't want them there, it's just take longer to de school them if you leave them in. If you can do it now then I'd pull them.  Don't second guess yourself. It really is the best decision!

They want to do it now! Lol. They asked if we could homeschool forever lol

Quoting blueyedbaker:

• gacgbaker
    February 20, 2013 at 3:46 PM

We did that this year.  My kids adjusted really well to it- we make a huge effort to keep in touch with their friends and their teachers have even allowed them to participate in some activities at the school to help ease the transition (Valentines party etc)- we take them to the school events that are open to the public as well.  This was a small private school, so a public school might be different.  I am continuing them on the curriculum they had in school for now (with a few adjustments of my own).  It seems to be working well.  I know this is a tough decision, but I was encouraged by many moms I look up to that while kids might have a hard time adjusting at first, they can adjust and if you are working with them through it all, it's a great thing for them to learn.  

Good luck with this decision!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN