Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
CowgirlMama0508
Pulling them out mid year??
February 20, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Ok, our original plan was to let the girls finish this school year in public schools (Til may) and start homeschooling this fall. But my youngest daughter is STILL not being corrected on spelling her name (at home she does it perfect, but every paper I get from school says Maison. Instead of madison) my oldest came home yesterday calling her brother a "dork turd" I'm like where did you learn that? She said her PE coach calls them dork turds when they don't do it right or when they don't listen. I'm really tired of them putting up with that..I'm really wanting to pull them out now instead of later. Have any of you done that? How did the kids adjust? Mine know we are homeschooling next year. If we do pull them now, would you start their curriculum (now) for next year? Or keep them with stuff they are doing in their current grade?

Replies

• romacox
    by romacox
    February 20, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Good advice above. 

• Yes you can pull them out mid year
    • The first thing is to know your State Laws.  As a home school workshop leader I am  often asked questions like yours.  So I put together the following  free web page to help

How To Home School

• mommyandtwoboys
    February 21, 2013 at 7:37 AM
    I literally pulled my oldest out yesterday. My only issue is I work full time (widowed) and gotta scramble to find someone who can cover days I have to go into the office...my son was being bullied and it was by the principal....
  • blueyedbaker
    February 21, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I wanted to add that I think you should make sure that your kids still see the friends that they made is PS. My daughter went to kindergarten and I never sent her back. My oldest went until 3rd grade. They both see all the friends they had made when they were there. I make sure they have play dates and I invite the kids to birthday parties too. 

• CowgirlMama0508
    February 21, 2013 at 10:30 AM
    Idk how I would get their parents contact info. The school won't give any info out and to send something, I have to send it to her entire class

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I wanted to add that I think you should make sure that your kids still see the friends that they made is PS. My daughter went to kindergarten and I never sent her back. My oldest went until 3rd grade. They both see all the friends they had made when they were there. I make sure they have play dates and I invite the kids to birthday parties too. 

• QueenCreole313
    February 21, 2013 at 11:44 AM
    I would snap out! I pulled my son out January. Best decision ever!! The kids will be just fine. Better actually If they are not being treated properly.
  • Proud-young-mom
    February 21, 2013 at 1:04 PM
    I would just pull my child out! Why wait until the end of the year? That 4 more months of trauma.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    February 21, 2013 at 1:38 PM
    Dork turd?!?!
  • mem82
    by mem82
    February 21, 2013 at 1:39 PM
    Welcome! Even though it was under duress, we are glad to have you in the group!

Quoting mommyandtwoboys:

I literally pulled my oldest out yesterday. My only issue is I work full time (widowed) and gotta scramble to find someone who can cover days I have to go into the office...my son was being bullied and it was by the principal....
  • blueyedbaker
    February 21, 2013 at 2:25 PM

How are the teachers? Would they give the other parents your number? Or a sealed note form you? My youngest's teacher was very nice and actually gave me the kids phone numbers and addresses. My daughter had asked for one of her friends address, and the little girl didn't know it so the teacher walked over with the girls info sheet and I copied it down. But I would just write up some notes saying what you are planning to do and give your number and address and let them know to contact you for a play date soon, something like that. 

Quoting CowgirlMama0508:

Idk how I would get their parents contact info. The school won't give any info out and to send something, I have to send it to her entire class

Quoting blueyedbaker:

• TigerofMu
    February 21, 2013 at 3:34 PM

We pulled ours out in the middle of the year.  I wish I actually would have pulled them out in the middle of the quarter instead of waiting for Christmas, because the bullying problems were so bad, and my older two were just falling farther and farther behind.  I "deschooled" them for a bit and kind of took a long Christmas break before we set out to work.  Start where you want to start.  If you have next year's curriculum ready and you want to, start.  If not, look at where they are and what you want to work on with them now.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts