Homeschooling Moms

aneela
Testing - comments and opinions needed
by aneela
February 19, 2013 at 9:41 PM

This is for everyone but especially those who are NOT using a boxed curriculum...and who create their own using various sources....and in particular those who are in states where there is NO review or mandatory testing of any kind:

Do you create Tests for your child?

At what grade/age did you start with tests? (be they self created or using other resources)

How often do you have them take tests?

Do you give them grades? (create a report card)

Do you test in ALL subject areas or only some? How do you determine which ones?

If you do NOT test...why not?

Do you have any general or specific views on testing?

I'm trying to sort out some things for myself with homeschooling my son. Thanks for any and all replies!!

Replies

• Leissaintexas
    February 20, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I'm in TX, no standardized testing requirements. I have never created tests for my kids. I have never graded an assignment. I am right there with them during their schoolwork, I already know what they've mastered, what they struggle with, etc. Testing would be completely unnecessary.  Sometimes my kids have asked me to grade their papers, because they somehow have a ps mind set ( not sure why, they've never been there LOL) and think they need a big red letter at the top of their paper.  I just look at them funny and ask them, "why would you need a grade at the top? did we not just go through this? Don't you know what you learned?"  I just don't get why you would need to grade a paper that you just taught, and went over it with them. If there are any wrong answers, they would just re-do it till they understood.  Mine are 10 and 12, and as they get older, more of their work will be done independently, so my job will be more advisory, but still, we don't homeschool to produce grades, we do it to enrich our lives. They're not circus poodles that must perform to someone else's standards.

• Knightquester
    February 20, 2013 at 2:16 PM

The only test my children take are state tests one week in a school year.  I do give them practice test I create or download for free online prior to that so they know what to expect, and to help build their confidence for what is about to come.

The only time I've tested outside state testing reasons is when my children needed to practice certain spelling words, or work on their multiplication tables (you can print up for free online) and oddly enough my kids liked those types of tests.

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 20, 2013 at 4:21 PM

In Ohio, we test or give a portfolio every year, but I'll answer anyway. 8)

Do you create Tests for your child? Not for my 2nd grader but I do in Math, for my 6th grader, just so she gets the feel for them.

At what grade/age did you start with tests? (be they self created or using other resources)5th or 6th grade

How often do you have them take tests? End of chapters

Do you give them grades? (create a report card) I don't create a report card but I do give them grades

Do you test in ALL subject areas or only some? How do you determine which ones?Just Math. I will probably add more as we go along

If you do NOT test...why not?

Do you have any general or specific views on testing? I think they can be very helpful but they can be a whip, too. It's all on how you use them, I guess.

• GELiz
    by GELiz
    February 20, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Do you think they will have test anxiety when they get to college and have to take one? Will they know test taking strategies for the tests for getting into college? or teh GED?

Quoting Leissaintexas:

I'm in TX, no standardized testing requirements. I have never created tests for my kids. I have never graded an assignment. I am right there with them during their schoolwork, I already know what they've mastered, what they struggle with, etc. Testing would be completely unnecessary.  Sometimes my kids have asked me to grade their papers, because they somehow have a ps mind set ( not sure why, they've never been there LOL) and think they need a big red letter at the top of their paper.  I just look at them funny and ask them, "why would you need a grade at the top? did we not just go through this? Don't you know what you learned?"  I just don't get why you would need to grade a paper that you just taught, and went over it with them. If there are any wrong answers, they would just re-do it till they understood.  Mine are 10 and 12, and as they get older, more of their work will be done independently, so my job will be more advisory, but still, we don't homeschool to produce grades, we do it to enrich our lives. They're not circus poodles that must perform to someone else's standards.

• Leissaintexas
    February 20, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Isn't the point of homeschooling to teach our children HOW to learn? If that is a skill they need some day, I'm confident that we will have taught them how to learn that on their own. Not really sure what test taking "strategies"  means. My ds is pretty dead set against college so no issues there. DD might try college, but I'm just not convinced that test taking is going to be the thing that makes or breaks her chances. Both of mine will have high school diplomas, so no GED here.

Quoting GELiz:

Do you think they will have test anxiety when they get to college and have to take one? Will they know test taking strategies for the tests for getting into college? or teh GED?

Quoting Leissaintexas:

• KrissyKC
    February 21, 2013 at 1:08 AM

We don't use any one boxed curriculum, but we use some and make up some...

We don't live in a state that requires any testing or review....  ((supposed to keep a log, but no one has ever checked mine))

So, for your questions...

1.   They have some curriculum (their math and english mainly) that test them.   We follow their schedule, my kids like taking their tests...   Some give brief quizzes just to help you know what they are learning... not really for a grade.   Otherwise, not really... except to orally ask them questions and such so I know what's in their heads.

2.   I think most of the curriculum we've used doesn't start heavier testing until about 3rd grade... but there are lighter tests and quizzes (spelling lists and such) in earlier grades.   At least, most of the stuff I've been exposed to.

3.   Their Rod & Staff english tests each chapter and their math right now quizzes them briefly after each section.

4.  I intended to do grades this year, but dropped the ball.   My eldest is in the 5th grade.  I want to provide them with a high school transcript that reflects grades, so I want to start that soon so I have a few years to get it right.

5.   Never thought about testing, really.   I just follow the curriculum we have... everything else is just done more relaxed and I let their report, lap book, project, or oral review prove to me how they are learning.

6.   I don't know, I wouldn't mind testing them, but we have been so busy learning and being involved in stuff that I haven't set it up yet.

7.   Some kids have a hard time with tests, and tests can reflect poorly on the actual knowledge the child has in their heads.  I do NOT believe in teaching to pass a test.. I think tests and quizzes should let you know what the child is learning well and maybe not so well.

Homeschooling Moms