Homeschooling Moms

kirbymom
Creating A Home School Area
February 19, 2013 at 7:43 PM

How to Create a Homeschooling Area

Once you decide to homeschool your children you will need to create a place in your home in which to do the homeschooling. This does not mean that you have to use your spare bedroom or clean out your garage. In fact, the kitchen or dining room table will work just fine. However, you are going to need a space in which to store all of your materials. This should be something that is convenient, easy and portable so that you can easily set up and tear down your "homeschool room" each day.

Since you probably do not want your company to be sitting in your "classroom," the first thing that you are going to need is a portable whiteboard. This can be used in order to draw illustrations and demonstrate difficult lessons. You will not want to use a blackboard as it will create too much dust, plus whiteboards are easier to use. They can be purchased at any office supply store.

Some other things that you will also want to gather together include:

1. You will need a trashcan that is small enough to be portable but not too small to be useful.

2. Ideally you and your children should have your own separate worktables. If this is not possible then the kitchen or dining room table will work.

3. You will need a filing cabinet or a bookcase for keeping your records, lesson plans, test papers, curriculum, report cards and health records.

4. In this day and age your homeschool should have a computer with Internet access via DSL or cable so that you can do research online.

5. You will need to hang a calendar on a wall or on the refrigerator, somewhere convenient, so that you can keep track of events, activities and field trips.

6. There are of course the normal "school" things that you should have. These include pencils, pens, crayons, erasers, highlighters and colored pencils. These things should be kept in small bins or pencil boxes so that they are easily accessible. You should also get a good handheld pencil sharpener for in your pencil box. You are going to want one that has two different size holes.

7. Older children are going to need composition notebooks, spiral notebooks, 3 ring binders, pocket folders, index cards and loose leaf paper. You should also purchase them their own 12-inch ruler to use.

One thing that you will also want to do is give your homeschool a name. You should then make a laminated ID card, with photo, for you and each of your children. This will be useful whenever your children need a student ID and it will also help you get store discounts and freebies.

Once you have all of these things together, purchase each of your children a milk crate to keep all of their supplies in. This way each of your children has their own space in which to store their schoolwork.

Of course, these are only items that it is recommended for you to have. Abraham Lincoln, one of the original homeschoolers, did without a lot of these items and yet he was still successful. If you need to make do with what you have you should know that you can be successful too. 

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 19, 2013 at 7:48 PM

We have bits and pieces of our homeschool material everywhere.

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    February 19, 2013 at 7:52 PM
    I miss our homeschool area, but really now that we have switched to Waldorf we have less need for one. Though, if I get a new house, I will still get one :)
  • Precious333
    February 19, 2013 at 7:56 PM
    Our whole house is our homeschool area! We live in like a 500 or so squarefoot house, with soon to be 6 of us.....so space needs to be used in a very creative way!
  • kirbymom
    February 19, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Quite honestly, I have tried, several times to have just one area. Epic fail.  But I know that other moms could benefit from this. 

Quoting mem82:

We have bits and pieces of our homeschool material everywhere.

• kirbymom
    February 19, 2013 at 8:02 PM

That is how I feel too. 

Quoting Boobah:

I miss our homeschool area, but really now that we have switched to Waldorf we have less need for one. Though, if I get a new house, I will still get one :)

• kirbymom
    February 19, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I know what you mean. When we home schooled while traveling in our motorhome, I had very little room for anything home school related.  

Quoting Precious333:

Our whole house is our homeschool area! We live in like a 500 or so squarefoot house, with soon to be 6 of us.....so space needs to be used in a very creative way!

• Precious333
    February 19, 2013 at 8:05 PM
    I have a place for books, place for games and place for art stuff and other supplies....so i am a littl organized :-)

Quoting kirbymom:

I know what you mean. When we home schooled while traveling in our motorhome, I had very little room for anything home school related.  

Quoting Precious333:

• kirbymom
    February 19, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Yeah, you definitely learn to find the positives in even the worst of situations.  

Quoting Precious333:

I have a place for books, place for games and place for art stuff and other supplies....so i am a littl organized :-)

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting Precious333:

• Precious333
    February 19, 2013 at 8:10 PM
    I think its great way to teach humility and gratitude :)

Quoting kirbymom:

Yeah, you definitely learn to find the positives in even the worst of situations.  

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting Precious333:

• kirbymom
    February 19, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Yes. Lessons that come naturally are always the best ones to learn from.  Sometimes, they are the only lesson that can be learned in that way. 

Quoting Precious333:

I think its great way to teach humility and gratitude :)

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting Precious333:

Homeschooling Moms