Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
mem82
Dolch Sight Words- Yay or Nay?
by mem82
February 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I was nay and now I'm a yay because memorizing them is really helping Cole with reading speed. What say you?

Replies

• MotherofMiles
    February 19, 2013 at 2:58 PM
    Yay! It will help:)
  • kirbymom
    February 19, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Well Thank You to the both of you. I am getting this app now as i post this. lol  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

you're welcome!  hope he loves it like levi does!

Quoting mem82:

thank youI just downloaded this for Cole!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Yay, kind of.  We use Eggy Words (an app) for my middle boy.  He was having such trouble "seeing" groups of letters, so he was very slow!  Sounding out every single word and every single letter of every word frustrated him.  So now that there are words he "just knows" he's getting faster and he's pointing them out in the bigger books we read together.

• coala
    by coala
    February 19, 2013 at 4:02 PM

My oldest needs them and my youngest sees a word for the first time and then she remembers it.  She learned about 30 sight words in a week.

• Uniquecoolio
    February 19, 2013 at 4:03 PM
    worked great here.
  • srichtermom
    February 19, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I have a dolch sight words flashcard book I was able to get free on my Ipad that my son really enjoys using, especially since he can swipe from page to page by himself.  We have combined both sight words with phonics-based reading.  The sight words are basically the ones that phoenetically do not work and would just frustrate him to try and sound out.  So far it has worked very well for him.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts