Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
QueenCreole313
This week in homeschooling
February 17, 2013 at 6:40 AM
This week in homeschooling

So this week I've tried some new things with my son with regards to our homeschool.

1. Adding music-- I read an article on additudemag.com which explored the benefits of music therapy and ADHD. (Even without ADHD i think music therapy is awesome!) I let my so listen to music (piano) while he did his independent work (workbook and test online). He said it helped him focus. I could tell also just by watching him. I did not have to remind him to focus once. This is a big deal!!

2. Strategic Thinking course--A friend of mine hosts a local Pokemon league and has been trying to get my son to join. After he found out he was homeschooled he started to pitch the idea as a course in strategic thinking. So we went to see what it was all about. Needless to say we loved it! My son loved to he around other little geeky kids who are interested in all the things he is into and I loved the socialization and strategic thinking skills needed to play the game! Win win!

3. Field Trips! So I've decided to do one field trip per month. I was trying to keep it a secret from the kid but he got it out of me. He's very virtual and active so I think I creasing our field trip count will be education but still fun! This month: The African American Art Museum in Philadelphia.

What's going on in your homeschool this week?

Replies

• BramblePatch
    February 17, 2013 at 10:03 AM
    We have been on Winter Break for 10 days because of company in town so its back to the grind. I was hoping to start DS in his new literature program but the first read-aloud did not come into the book store....so it will wait. DD starts phonics this week since she is blending now. Thats about it here.
  • Walnutgrovefarm
    February 17, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Tomorrow since it's President's day we will talk about our history of electing and our past presidents. We will also continue with our normal day of math test, languange, spelling, vocab., poetry, calling on guitar lessons and finding out when art classes start up for the spring. Animal science right now as we are lambing so science is pretty much covered in the barn. I love that kind of learning.

• starbeck96
    February 17, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I am not really sure.  My dd (age 6) has been sick (found out Friday she has pnuemonia) and I have not been feeling well either.  So, not sure if she (or I) will feel like doing much next week.  My boys will continue as usual.  I have their daily lesson guide as well as any tests, quizzes, and worksheets in a sheet protector so they always know what to do, regardless of my schedule.

I was going to let them start literature next week, but since I was sick all weekend, I didn't have time to get everything ready.  So, we will wait until the following week for literature.

• JasonsMom2007
    February 17, 2013 at 12:09 PM

We have tomorrow off because the kids are spending the night at my parent's house tonight.  Tuesday we are going to a field trip at Sutter's Fort.  They are doing a Hands on History day and 2 other families are coming with us.

We are also working on our science fair project.

I want to do monthly field trips too :)

• tinkerspell
    February 17, 2013 at 12:12 PM

this week is catch up all year long i have been trying to find s balance with my daughter and suchso todaay saterday im continuing to work my butt off to get the house in order (just moved as well) that way we can have tons of school time this week 

• kirbymom
    February 17, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Projects projects and more projects. Its like they are making up for seemingly lost time or something.  lol  

• irvinehiker
    February 17, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Hmm..not sure yet.  Last week we had a light week due to a party and lots of other stuff to get done.  I guess we'll see where the week takes us.  :)

• ColtsFan1912
    February 17, 2013 at 2:38 PM

We did nothing over the week:\ My son was sick, then me, then my daughter. I just hope we all feel well for this week coming up. Our goal will be getting caught up. Between moving and this sickness homeschooling has gone to the wayside a bit.

• Leissaintexas
    February 17, 2013 at 2:58 PM

This is our second week for our Texas History unit. We'll finish the last two of the six flags of TX then its back to doing fractions...again. I love Life of Fred,  but my kids don't seem to be retaining well so we're re-doing fractions. Then dd will start vol 2 of her Hero Tales while ds continues workign in McGuffey reader. Our science is going really slow, we're in the Reproduction unit and my tweens are mortified! I'm evil though, I get a kick out of watching them squirm when I say the words asexual, egg, etc. They know how that process works already, but our science curriculum includes it this year.

• lifesadream83
    February 17, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Tonight we are finishing up some LA and History that we missed from last week.  This week will be our first week back on schedule since I gave birth 2 months ago! Whahoooo!  LOL.  I am not a field trip momma.  We go to the park once a week to meet and play with friends and on Wednesday's I have added an art class at our local curriculum consignment shop.  I have been here a year and we finally just came out of our shell and we are about to move in June... bummer!  

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN