Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
liliem
How young are your children when you start homeschooling?
by liliem
February 16, 2013 at 4:15 PM

My son is 17 months. Is he too young to homeschool? Or what should I be including in his day. Right now he plays with everthing, including pots and pans, remote controls, and toys - many learning toys, and he can play on my ipad pretty well. He knows how to find his app, and figure out what different swipes do, etc. He can even open youtube and paly videos. He can talk a little. He can't say certain sounds and it seems like he knows so he doesn't really try. He is no parrot, that's for sure (like my friends daughter who's vocabulary is enormous). But I can give him direction and he can do it so he understands. I just want augment all this and don't know how. He can't let me read him a book. 1 to 2 pages into it he closes the book, or keeps turning the pages, etc. I still try to read to him, but I feel like I'm forcing it. He loves to climb right now. Hoping to move this year into the house and I'll be able to make an obstacle course for him outdoors, but for not it's play places like Monkey Buziness.. Any suggestions on what has helped your kids learn new things other than the regular grocery store, and all that stuff (he's with me all the time...).  Thanks!!!

Replies

• BramblePatch
    February 16, 2013 at 4:28 PM
    At that age, my kids learned through play. I am not a big fan of letting kids learn on electronics, to be honest. I prefer classic toys....blocks, musical instruments, stacking toys....check out Discovery Toys. Audio books are a great option. I played them all the time....in the car, at naptime, etc.... Classical music is great, too. Finger painting is a perfect way to work on motor skills.
  • Silverkitty
    February 16, 2013 at 4:41 PM

I usually don't formally school until 5 or 6.  Between the ages of new born and 2, I'll read.  Between 2 and 4, I usually read and add in educational videos, arts, crafts, and lots of play.  My son is 2, will be 3 this fall, and wants to learn so I'm going to start him slowly with a curriculum of books, math, arts, crafts, and lots of play.

• arctophile
    February 16, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Officially we start at 4 here, but my 20m old comes to the table every day and has since about 14m.  She loves to color and participate!

• bluerooffarm
    February 16, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Starting at newborn I just kept adding things they'd get interested in.  Talk to him constantly.  My Mom used to say that the reason my sons are never quiet is that I never stopped talking for the first years of their lives.

While shopping I would tell them what I was buying, what color it was, it's texture.  When we stacked blocks I'd say now I'm going to put the blue one on top of the red one, etc. When I was making my sandwich I'd tell them now I spread the hummus on the bread to help make all these veggies stick together, here's the red pepper, here's the green lettuce, etc.  When I washed clothes we'd call out the colors we could see as they spun "around and around" in the washer. 

Of course I read to them and snuggled them too, but talking got them talking early.  And playing with words.  Sing song that rhyme and repeat and alliterate...Down by the Bay (then make up extra verses together when he gets old enough to pick up the pattern), The Greenwood Tree, A Sailor Went to Sea Sea Sea, The Cat Came Back.... odd songs, funny songs.

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    February 16, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Homeschooling begins at birth.  What you do changes as they get older.  Instead reading Dr. Seuss to my kids I am reading books on physics and chemistry.  LOL  At that age I recommend just playing together and following his interests.  Imaginative play is awesome.  I recommend lots of books and play doh.  Make sure he sees you reading every day.  Read out loud as he plays especially poetry.  I also got my sons hooked on science by watching mythbusters early on.  Remember to take it easy together and just have fun.

• motheroffour186
    February 17, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I do not know I started doing home school when my children we 6 th month we watch Dora six month movies learning movies watching leapfrog

bingo verb

jeopardy nouns

movements verbs where you have to move to make the verbs

leapfrog movies

grammar rock c.d.

school house rock D.V.D.

Doing to Dollar Store having putting up letters and colors and shapes and numbers around the house see if they can find them find puzzles with numbers shapes letters colors spelling words for that week and have then find them pick a letter for that week find different books toys that start with it around the house look in a book and see if they can find that letters. Reading them books having them doing the movements. Find objects see if they can put it over and under ect. Write their names on different things besides paper like chalkboard I put a poster board on wall and had them to write their names on it. drawing paper all ways music: ABC's and 123s colors shapes. I using have them never sitting down till school is over we bake cakes cookies make jello pudding.

Good luck!!!!

that is next year for my twins are going in to kindergarten.

http://www.havefunteaching.com/

what do your child or children want to learn about in science and what do you want to teach them for science.

Bill Nye Science

Magic School Bus movies I am working on having this all this summer.

• coala
    by coala
    February 17, 2013 at 9:36 AM

We started early.  My LO was watching Baby Einstein at 6 mos old.  She watched LeapFrog DVD's at 18 mos and knew all the letters by sight and the sounds they made at 19 mos old.  Learning starts at birth.  Just make sure that they have access to all sorts of educational things.  My girls LOVED Mega Blocks.....we just got rid of them and moved onto Legos.  They teach them to use their dexterity as well as learning to build (not sure what science category that falls into), but they are learning that you have to make a structure stable or it will fall over.  Mostly at this age let them play at work things in like singing the ABC's and counting his cars or blocks as you are stacking them.  Just have fun!!!

• tuffymama
    February 17, 2013 at 11:25 AM
    I love the advice Bramble has given you. I would just be reading to LO and letting him learn through play right now if I didn't have to do his speech therapy and some conditioning for his ASD (even though his symptoms have now completely resolved IMO, but we are getting him an early reevaluation soon). At 17 months, kids are learning every second, still through all their senses.

I am about to enrage some folks, but I have my Kevlar and asbestos suit on, with my BGP underneath. The "value" of DVDs and LeapFrog type gadgets has never been proven, always been questioned, and in my EXPERIENCE, are overpriced and worthless for all but getting your kids out of your hair. There is even concern that technophile kids who are judged "advanced" because they can adapt to technology and figure it out quickly, can not always cope with real world human interaction as well as their traditionally-educated peers. We are somehow not as smart as we were (scientifically proven, BTW), yet we have constant stimulation from conception to death now, and our lives are fully automated. Hmmm... It makes me think of the fat dopes on Wall-E.

When my oldest was born, every baby just HAD to have a black, white, and red mobile, or he wouldn't be sufficiently stimulated and would fail kindergarten, and probably grow up to be a drug addict. ;0) Well, I held my baby, wore him, and he slept in the bed with me instead. Turns out, THAT is better for building neural pathways than any stupid mobile stuck on a crib. (And he IS a smarty! LOL.)

I say, take a more basic and primal approach, and let little kids learn with their hands and mouths and eyes as humans are meant to do, and give them constant mama companionship, let them learn at the hems of our skirts so to speak, and read read read to them (wean him off the ipad and I promise he will be more receptive to you reading to him). Turn off the tv and stop buying batteries. Let them beat on pots with wooden spoons, climb over sofa cushions on the floor, play with dolls and pets and little cars, paint junk from the recycle bin, find bugs and weeds that interest them, dig muddy holes, play with boats in the bath, and run in the sunshine as much as we can get them outdoors. Until five, six, or seven, kids are just learning how to be human beings, how to take care of themselves and their belongings, and how to treat other people. (That's why it is so important that we model good behavior and responsible citizenship; we can't stop them learning from our actions, habits, and interactions with others.) Starting some kind of formal "schooling" at such a young age can be a hindrance to LO's learning later. Do those cute activities that the mommy bloggers do, if it makes you both happy, but limit the amount of time you spend on that frippery, and let LO lead you in the direction his brain is naturally learning. Who knows if you have a musical prodigy or a naturally gifted mathematician in the bud, if, with all good intentions and in the interest of "educating" him early, you push him in the opposite direction right now? Maybe try just leaving him alone sometimes (under supervision, of course), until he wants a cuddle or a partner in his play. If you're feeding him, talking to him, cleaning and cooking in front of him, cuddling him, reading to him, making eye contact when he talks to you, singing to him, letting him just BE with you, enjoying him, loving him, and just being his mama, you're already teaching him!
  • kirbymom
    February 17, 2013 at 1:34 PM

You came to the right place to ask that question.  :)   Kids are never to young or too old to learn anything any time. :)   Was your child too young to learn how to sound out his very first word sound? or learn how to hold a cup? No. :) So too it is now. He is old enough to learn.  Learn to work withing his learning style.  If he is playing with things, teach him the shapes, colors, textures.  The how many game.  The m,ore fun and excitement you apply to what he liks and utilixe that as learning experiences, the more he will learn to love learning.  :)  

• irvinehiker
    February 17, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I never did anything formal with my kids until they were about 5 or 6.  I did use  any and all life experiences to facilitate learning.  I followed their interests and expanded on it.  Kids are learning all the time.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN