Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Bluecalm
Were your friends judgemental about homeschooling?
February 16, 2013 at 3:40 PM
One of my friends keeps questioning me about if I am still going to homeschool in the fall. Today she asked if I had decided if I was enrolling him in school for the fall. Um, no. She also gave me the names of preschools where I can send my LO. It's getting annoying.

Replies

• KrissyKC
    February 16, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Doesn't sound like your friend has much in common with you.   I'd let it blow off a few times, but then I think I'd probably just start making friends other places.   Not intentionally lettign just this issue divide us, but I think it will in the long run.

• Bluecalm
    February 16, 2013 at 4:00 PM
    She doesn't have kids so our lives are very different. I met her before they came along.

Quoting KrissyKC:

Doesn't sound like your friend has much in common with you.   I'd let it blow off a few times, but then I think I'd probably just start making friends other places.   Not intentionally lettign just this issue divide us, but I think it will in the long run.

• BramblePatch
    February 16, 2013 at 4:32 PM
    My judgemental friends are no longer friends. I was out on Wednesday night with "friends" and one actually was making fun of homeschooling. I will probably not go out with him and his wife again.
  • No_Difference
    February 16, 2013 at 4:37 PM

I have one neighbor (we kinda adopted her into the family so to speak lol) who's mom is a teacher and she firmly believes in the public school system because of it. She doesn't disagree with homeschooling, she just doesn't understand and is constantly asking how their learning is going and if they're progressing properly and how can we learn different things from the schools and still be okay... It takes a great deal of patience some days but we still love her lol.

• bluerooffarm
    February 16, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Preschool? 

I unintentionally ended a friendship like that once.  I told her it was none of her business what I did with my preschooler and that even the government didn't have the balls to tell us we have to part with our little ones that early.  I was shocked thatshe was suggesting that I needed to send a child to a "qualified" preschool.  I've gotten a lot more tact over the past few years, at that time I hadn't even planned on homeschooling. 

I'd probably let it go a few times and then ask her why she's so concerned.  Listen politely, then politely tell her that I planned on doing what I felt was best for my children and that when the time came I would give her the freedom to do the same for her children.

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    February 16, 2013 at 5:49 PM

My best friend was the same way.  She told me she felt sorry for my  kids.  I told her off and she apologized.  She is no longer  so negative about homeschooling.  She has seen how great my kids are doing and she can now see the benefit.  She is still one of my best friends.  It really depends on the person and whether they are able to admit when they are wrong.  

• kttycat84
    February 16, 2013 at 6:34 PM

I'm very lucky. My friends and family are very supportive of my decision to homeschool. And, like the other ladies have said, if they weren't....well, they probably wouldn't be my friends for very long.

• ColtsFan1912
    February 16, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Nope. Most my friends homeschool or have thought of homeschooling.

• bekalynne440
    February 16, 2013 at 6:50 PM
    Most of my friends are or will be (when their kids are old enough) homeschooling.
  • coala
    by coala
    February 16, 2013 at 8:19 PM

My BFF isn't judegemental about this as all!!  She is actually a person that I turned to when we were considering this b/c I trust her opinion so much.  She told me to really look at the pros and cons for MY family and then I would know what our decision should be.  We are now into our 1st full year...we did a partial last year.  She now has 2 of her 3 begging to homeschool as well.  LOL!!  I think we have been that influence on her kids.  They see how much my kids get to learn and play all in the same day w/o having to leave the house for nearly 8 hours.  She is considering it for next year with her oldest, her youngest is going to have to wait about 2 more years as Mommy as that much left of getting her college degree going FT.  We also have other poeple that we have met since this last Summer asking about how it works and what needs to be done.  I have given them all the information that I can...the rest is up to them.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN