Homeschooling Moms

rsrangel
Camping
February 16, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Any camping junkies here?!?  Do you use tents, a pop-up, trailer?  We are shopping around for something used.  I'm not ready for the 100% roughing it tent thing lol, but wondering if a pop-up would sleep all 6 of us.  What has been your favorite camping spot so far? 

Replies

• buzymom93
    February 17, 2013 at 3:49 PM

i love camping, but we just use a tent.. it s great.. 

• AutymsMommy
    February 17, 2013 at 4:04 PM

*shudder*

Not I, lol.

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    February 17, 2013 at 9:15 PM
    We have a popup we bought in 2007, we maybe used it 5-10 times because I am often either majorly pregnant or have a newborn during the summer. Lol. Plus it doesnt have air and gets extremely hot.
    Mostly we camp in my moms camper. Its 38 feet, 2 bedrooms, air conditioning. We call it the hotel. Lol! Not real camping but its nice to get away. She has it on a permanent site so all we have to do is show up, turn the water on, mow the grass and put our stuff away.
  • irvinehiker
    February 17, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Many moons ago before I had kids, I was a camper.  Always used a tent.  Nothing wrong with the hard ground.  I have camped in so many places.  When I was in college I backpacked with a group for 10 days in the porcupine mountains.  Like I said that was many moons ago.  I was much younger then.    These days only a hotel will do.  My poor kids have never been camping.  Not sure they would like it if they had the chance.  

• irvinehiker
    February 17, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Nice!!  Now this kind of camping I could handle!

Quoting Boobah:

We have a popup we bought in 2007, we maybe used it 5-10 times because I am often either majorly pregnant or have a newborn during the summer. Lol. Plus it doesnt have air and gets extremely hot.
    Mostly we camp in my moms camper. Its 38 feet, 2 bedrooms, air conditioning. We call it the hotel. Lol! Not real camping but its nice to get away. She has it on a permanent site so all we have to do is show up, turn the water on, mow the grass and put our stuff away.

• tiredmomfor2
    February 17, 2013 at 9:55 PM
    I grew up camping (tent and camper) my husband..not so much. Lol I want to start camping again and I think this summer the youngest might be old enough. :) might try it in the front yard first though. The older two are dying to camp out!

Quoting usmom3:

We need to try camping again the last time my younger 2 where just to little for it & I about had a heart attack trying to keep them safe.

• CJsMommy040506
    February 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Quoting starbeck96:

We use a tent.  It is a very large tent so that we have plenty of room to move around and to store our stuff. 

Last year we went twice.  It was the first time we'd gone camping since having kids.  My boys loved it.  They are 14 and are all about fishing.  So, we made sure that where we stayed was right on the lake.  We all had so much fun.  My daughter didn't care much for it, but it was mostly because of the bugs...lol.  She really enjoyed the daytime, it was after dark that she didn't care for. 

We are planning on roughing it just as soon as the weather is ok for camping.  I will probably get someone to keep my daughter at night though since it is right on a creek and it is really really dark there..lol.  i just don't think she could handle it.  We will probably take the boys for their bday in March if the weather permits.

We will go in April and May also, but we will stay in a camping site with power/water.  That is just alot easier when we have my youngest with us.  She loved playing in the lake though. 

I can't wait to go camping this year.  Now, we know a little bit more of what we need.  We went to West Point, GA to camp.  The great thing about this year is that we can go on our schedule instead of the kids' PS school schedule. 

This is where we went as a kid. We go a couple of times in the spring and fall in north GA, usually 50-100 miles from home. We use a tent. I'd love a nice travel trailer, I really hate not having a camper. You can sleep 6 in a pop up. Personally, I want a bathroom.

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    February 18, 2013 at 7:55 AM
    I forgot to mention my pop up sleeps 7-8. You could fit more. It has a king on one side, queen on the other, then you can fit one where the table is, and 2 where the other u shaped couch is.
  • oredeb
    by oredeb
    February 18, 2013 at 10:36 AM

we love camping!! we use a shepherds tent, we have a wood stove in it to keep warm and cook on, i use a dutch oven, we have lots of fun!!

we love to go back in the hills where no one else is as long as there is a lake or river to catch dinner in

• starbeck96
    February 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM

That's cool.  We went to Holiday Park, if you've ever heard of that.  It is only about 25 minutes from our house.  I would also love a small travel trailor, but we have really enjoyed our 2 camping trips.  I can't wait to go camping again...

Our big tent really helped make it a nice trip.  It is tall enough in the center that we can stand up and walk in it.  It is so big that it almost didn't fit on the tent pads..lol.

Quoting CJsMommy040506:

Quoting starbeck96:

We use a tent.  It is a very large tent so that we have plenty of room to move around and to store our stuff. 

Last year we went twice.  It was the first time we'd gone camping since having kids.  My boys loved it.  They are 14 and are all about fishing.  So, we made sure that where we stayed was right on the lake.  We all had so much fun.  My daughter didn't care much for it, but it was mostly because of the bugs...lol.  She really enjoyed the daytime, it was after dark that she didn't care for. 

We are planning on roughing it just as soon as the weather is ok for camping.  I will probably get someone to keep my daughter at night though since it is right on a creek and it is really really dark there..lol.  i just don't think she could handle it.  We will probably take the boys for their bday in March if the weather permits.

We will go in April and May also, but we will stay in a camping site with power/water.  That is just alot easier when we have my youngest with us.  She loved playing in the lake though. 

I can't wait to go camping this year.  Now, we know a little bit more of what we need.  We went to West Point, GA to camp.  The great thing about this year is that we can go on our schedule instead of the kids' PS school schedule. 

This is where we went as a kid. We go a couple of times in the spring and fall in north GA, usually 50-100 miles from home. We use a tent. I'd love a nice travel trailer, I really hate not having a camper. You can sleep 6 in a pop up. Personally, I want a bathroom.

Homeschooling Moms