Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
rsrangel
begging to come back home
February 15, 2013 at 10:44 PM
My 2nd grader is counting the days until school let's out for summer and he can come home to homeschool. Wish I could take him out now but it isn't an option unfortunately since I'm in my internship full time. Before when we homeschooled, he was complaining about wanting to be in school with other kids, and has now learned that I wasn't lying when I said they get to sit at desks all day doing work, then again at home for homework. Hahahahaa...maybe he'll remember this for years to come and appreciate it more! 3 more months!

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 16, 2013 at 9:56 AM
    Aw, poor little dude. 8)
  • superwoman0105
    February 16, 2013 at 10:12 AM

My son used to tell me that he wants to go to school with his friends too so I did a little experiment.  I told him that he needed to show me that he had what it takes to go to school and not get into trouble.  I gave him these requirements:

1. Sit quietly in your desk, without talking for at least 3 hours and then you might be able to have a brain break.

2. Do not go to the bathroom when you want.  Ask first and then be able to hold it when you are told to wait until recess at 2pm.

3. Do not ask for a snack at all or you will be given punishwork for not waiting until lunch to eat.

4. At 3:30 when you would be getting home from school, you now have two more hours of worksheets to do.

After the first day, the desire to go to school was nipped in the bud. hehe

• superwoman0105
    February 16, 2013 at 10:13 AM

By the way, my son is a second grader too!

• kirbymom
    February 16, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Aww. What a sweetpea.  :0   My kids used to say and feel that they would do better in public school when they were all younger. But they got to meet some public schooled kids and realized that they would not be better off in public school.  lol They now thank me for not listening to them.  lol   

• bluerooffarm
    February 16, 2013 at 10:35 AM

LOL!!  That is awesome!

My middle boy said (once) that he wanted to go to PS.  My older son who had gone for kindergarten and 9 weeks of first grade at the local ps told him about all that stuff.  Now he is happy to stay home.  :-)

Quoting superwoman0105:

My son used to tell me that he wants to go to school with his friends too so I did a little experiment.  I told him that he needed to show me that he had what it takes to go to school and not get into trouble.  I gave him these requirements:

1. Sit quietly in your desk, without talking for at least 3 hours and then you might be able to have a brain break.

2. Do not go to the bathroom when you want.  Ask first and then be able to hold it when you are told to wait until recess at 2pm.

3. Do not ask for a snack at all or you will be given punishwork for not waiting until lunch to eat.

4. At 3:30 when you would be getting home from school, you now have two more hours of worksheets to do.

• rsrangel
    February 16, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Those things are so true!!  My son also recently told me that they aren't even allowed to speak during lunch (they eat with their class only, not in a cafeteria...it's a small school).  One girl got sent to the office because she wouldn't stop talking during lunch!!!  I don't know why people are so worried that their child won't learn social skills if they aren't in school with other kids.  Apparently they aren't allowed to talk to each other anyway!! lol.  So sad....

Quoting superwoman0105:

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    February 16, 2013 at 3:30 PM

My son used to say that until I told him was school was like.  He said to me,"That is wrong".  I completely agree. He is 10 now and has no desire to go.  He is having too much fun staying home.  

• KrissyKC
    February 16, 2013 at 3:41 PM

My kids go back and forth with their opinions on the matter, too.  

We initially were "public schooling at home" with K12, for 6 months because we didn't like the schools where our daughter would have went her KG year.    When we moved into a "good" school district, we put them in public school for a bit.

When that backfired, we pulled them out for good.   They complain sometimes and want to go to PS sometimes, but they don't get to choose their education, we do what we feel is best for them.

• kttycat84
    February 16, 2013 at 6:37 PM

My oldest was only in public school for two weeks and sometimes she asks to go back. Whenever I ask her if she really wants to go back to sitting in a desk quietly all day, she changes her mind, lol.

• CJsMommy040506
    February 16, 2013 at 11:18 PM

My son is in second at PS (homeschooling next school year) and he says they can't talk at lunch. What type of internship are you doing? I'm going to continue college but I'll be limited with what degree I can go for since it could only be nights/weekends with homeschooling.

Quoting rsrangel:

Those things are so true!!  My son also recently told me that they aren't even allowed to speak during lunch (they eat with their class only, not in a cafeteria...it's a small school).  One girl got sent to the office because she wouldn't stop talking during lunch!!!  I don't know why people are so worried that their child won't learn social skills if they aren't in school with other kids.  Apparently they aren't allowed to talk to each other anyway!! lol.  So sad....

Quoting superwoman0105:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN