Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Silverkitty
I just need to quit... ~update in purple~
February 15, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Hightlighted what we have decided on and added one thing. I have greyed out the items we have decided not to use.

Now my daughter wants to add a ditigal art class to her school work.  I'm thinking I need lessen some of the lessons or extend them.

Looking at curriculum!  LoL  Everyone says stick with what works, well nothing has actually worked, I just know my daughter likes to read books to learn and have added hands on activities and with my son not napping anymore and wanting to start school, I need something more planned out for her.

I have been trying to finalize my daughters 7th grade, but I keep changing my mind.  My husband will buy what I want, with in reason, but I don't know what I want anymore.

History: Sonlight Core E with added things to beef it up. or  K12 American Odyssey. or  WinterPromise American Culture, hubby saw the sample and wouldn't let me choose anything else. or  Beautiful Feet Early America and World History. Or Notgrass America the Beautiful.

Science: Mr. Q's Advanced Chemistry, since it is kitchen science. Noeo Science Chemistry III. OakMeadow Science 7 Earth Sciene.

Math: Lial's Pre-Algebra

Language Arts:  Winston Grammar, Essentials in Writing, Lightning Literature 7

Logic: Perplexors

Art: Atelier Art along with a computer art program.

Music: Hands-on Activity Pack

Japanaese: Irasshai

Vocabulary: Vocabu-Lit G or Vocabulary from Classical Roots A

Spelling: All About Spelling (Only because she wants to)

Geography: Trai Guide to US Geography

She helped me pick out most, but she has not feelings what so ever for Science or History.  It's like eh, just pick whatever.

Sometimes I think it'd be easier to just get a box and call it a day.

Replies

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    February 15, 2013 at 10:58 AM

what about your daughter ? what does she want to learn from? can she choose??

• Precious333
    February 15, 2013 at 11:02 AM
    I love our science and history curriculum. We use classicL conversationa and story of the world. We do a science experiment once a week, sing songs for history, read about it and our geography lines up with history.
  • Silverkitty
    February 15, 2013 at 11:14 AM

She can choose most things, but she wont choose for History or Science.  She has preferences and will say no, but the ones I listed are the ones she hasn't said no or yes to.  By state law I have to teach reading, writing, math, science, and social studies; composition and literature in grades 7-12.   So I do have to do something and keep records and a portfolio.

Quoting oredeb:

what about your daughter ? what does she want to learn from? can she choose??

• blueyedbaker
    February 15, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I feel the exact same way. I spend so much time picking out books and material. I don't want to do it any more. Nothing has worked so far. We have bought something new for the past 3 years. I wish there was an easy answer. I wish someone could just come in and do it for me. Actually I wish I could find a curriculum that would work for my girls and I wouldn't have to change every year.

• Silverkitty
    February 15, 2013 at 11:37 AM

It'd be nice if there, but kids have such different learning styles and they can change as they get older, which is what happened with my daughter.

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I feel the exact same way. I spend so much time picking out books and material. I don't want to do it any more. Nothing has worked so far. We have bought something new for the past 3 years. I wish there was an easy answer. I wish someone could just come in and do it for me. Actually I wish I could find a curriculum that would work for my girls and I wouldn't have to change every year.

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 15, 2013 at 11:43 AM
    Oy! I hear you!
  • No_Difference
    February 15, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I'm so tired of looking at curriculum too lol. As soon as I finally decide on which lit program to use I think I just might finally have next year planned out.... Now of course we'll most likely move and something won't work and I'll have to start all over again lol.

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    February 15, 2013 at 6:47 PM
    Normally I am looking at all the curric too and planning on going to the convention. This year, I have already decided to stay with Waldorf Essentials as our curriculum, and we don't need anything else! $40 and DONE. It feels weird to not be looking at 8 different math, science, etc. Weird. But GREAT. I really like what we are doing, so I have told myself to stop and just enjoy it. If it stops working, I'll look into something else.
  • QueenCreole313
    February 15, 2013 at 7:49 PM

How do you all search or review curricula? Do you look online, a store, etc? I'm new to this..

• bren_darlene
    February 15, 2013 at 8:17 PM

LOL,  It took me around 12 years to find what I liked best.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts