Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
JavaLadybug2
I am trying to create a coop I'm very new and me all the advice and help you can give
February 14, 2013 at 10:20 AM

What kinda things do you guys doing your coops? What kind of things that works for you or have you seen you liked? Activities? Outings?

I'm very very new at all of this but the current coop in my area want almost 300 dollars for people toto participate and that's just for 6 months and they only meet together 1 time a month and frankly that's just too much as far as I'm concerned I'm planning on creating a new 1 so that people don't have to spend an arm a leg just for the children to socialize and have a chance to learn jointly on some things..

Replies

• blueyedbaker
    February 14, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I don't belong to one. I live in a small community and I'd have to travel an hour or more to meet up with one and then they are very religious and I am not. I would love to start something around me because I know a few families who home school but I wouldn't know where to start and plus to add one more thing to my plate would be hard. 

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    February 14, 2013 at 12:04 PM
    I started my own. I am on my nook so
    I will send a more detailed response later. First find a place to meet. Many libraries have rooms you can reserve.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    February 14, 2013 at 12:29 PM
    I haven't started my own, or belonged to one but I wish you luck!
  • swim-mom72
    February 14, 2013 at 12:44 PM

That is a LOT to charge! Part of the cost is what they pay for use of the facility and insurance. Another cost, as in the case of our co-op, comes from the national group they may be a part of. And if the co-op is academic, then some of the cost could be to pay the teachers. And lastly, there is probably an up front cost to cover supplies and papper/ink.

Our co-op has a nursery for ages 0-2, and we provide classes for ages 3-18. Our classes are 9 weeks long in the spring and 9 weeks long in the fall. We meet once a week for for the clases. We also have activities throughout the year : mom's night out once a month, park days, many field trips, teen and tween activities, field day, acouple of game days a year, a family BBQ, and water play day in the summer.

• JavaLadybug2
    February 14, 2013 at 3:41 PM
    no each parent is expected to volunteer to teach a class each quarter and there is no paper that they do pay 50 dollars a quarter to the church they use for electric and water but aside from that mostly it's for their charter with LEAH Association... which they mandate that you join.

I refuse to join something that gives me absolutely no legal protection that I don't already have.. American citizen I am cspanked of homeschooling legally and there's no reason I need to have legal representation standing in the wings if I need legal representation I will pay for it at that time

Quoting swim-mom72:

That is a LOT to charge! Part of the cost is what they pay for use of the facility and insurance. Another cost, as in the case of our co-op, comes from the national group they may be a part of. And if the co-op is academic, then some of the cost could be to pay the teachers. And lastly, there is probably an up front cost to cover supplies and papper/ink.

Our co-op has a nursery for ages 0-2, and we provide classes for ages 3-18. Our classes are 9 weeks long in the spring and 9 weeks long in the fall. We meet once a week for for the clases. We also have activities throughout the year : mom's night out once a month, park days, many field trips, teen and tween activities, field day, acouple of game days a year, a family BBQ, and water play day in the summer.

• JavaLadybug2
    February 14, 2013 at 3:42 PM
    thank you for the ideas of things that you guys do I do so appreciate that

Quoting JavaLadybug2:

no each parent is expected to volunteer to teach a class each quarter and there is no paper that they do pay 50 dollars a quarter to the church they use for electric and water but aside from that mostly it's for their charter with LEAH Association... which they mandate that you join.

I refuse to join something that gives me absolutely no legal protection that I don't already have.. American citizen I am cspanked of homeschooling legally and there's no reason I need to have legal representation standing in the wings if I need legal representation I will pay for it at that time

Quoting swim-mom72:

• twyliatepeka
    February 14, 2013 at 3:48 PM
    Same here. I have a friend that drives almost an hour to take her 2 kids to coop. I wish I could start one.

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I don't belong to one. I live in a small community and I'd have to travel an hour or more to meet up with one and then they are very religious and I am not. I would love to start something around me because I know a few families who home school but I wouldn't know where to start and plus to add one more thing to my plate would be hard. 

• romacox
    by romacox
    February 14, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Wow that is expensive.  Most groups that I have had experience with just charge for expenses as they come up.  For Field trips, and celebrations like holidays and graduation ceremonies, I like joining a large group, but  they never charged anywhere near that much.  You might check around to see if a large group is near you that does not charge that much. 

Small groups of no more than 8 families, are great for moms  taking turns teaching the children various subjects as a group, moms night out, and play days.  Groups usually have some written rules such as

• All children must be accompanied by an adult (that way you do not end up becoming a baby sitter)
    • Acceptance of new members must be voted on before any new member is allowed to join
    • Costs of all activities must be paid 1 week in advance  before  participation is allowed. 

Mothers usually take turns offering their homes for activities. 

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    February 14, 2013 at 5:24 PM

We reserve a  room through our library so there is no room cost.  Parents volunteer to teach different subjects.  I have taught a unit on flight, physics, 2 on chemistry, and I am getting ready to teach a unit on geography through art.  I recommend doing a syllabus so people have an idea what you will be teaching.  Maybe right up a mission statement.  We started out with very little organization and I am working on getting more organized.  First just see who is around and what what everyone would like to do.  Start simple and just go from there.  Feel free to ask me any specific questions.  

• swim-mom72
    February 14, 2013 at 5:48 PM

You are welcome!!

When I mentioned paper, I was talking about for making copies. Some co-ops charge a materials fee that will include the cost of making copies for the classes or for materials that are handed out to the families.

We offer 3 blocks of classes, that are 55 minutes each. The classes are taught by our parents. And we are a "cooperative" , so it is NOT a drop-off type of program. Here are a list of some of the classes we have had or are currently offering: LEGOS, PE, photography, nutrition, geography, Boot Camp, book club, all kinds of art classes, sign language, sewing, colonial life, science experiments, drama, pet care, show and tell, electricity, writing, and speech/debate.

We also have a "Mom's Room" for all moms during their off time to hang out, eat snacks and chat.....this is my favorite part : )

Quoting JavaLadybug2:

thank you for the ideas of things that you guys do I do so appreciate that

Quoting JavaLadybug2:

Quoting swim-mom72:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts