Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
rsrangel
Opinion needed on traveling
February 13, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I need opinions!  We have 4 kids (ages 8, 6, 5, 4) and we love traveling, but it's tough and expensive with all 4 kids!  So usually we just do day trips or overnight trips around our state to make it easier until they are older (and we hopefully have more money!).  When they were babies and toddlers, we would take 2 with us and leave 2 with my mom when we'd travel farther away.  I was OK with it then because I knew they wouldn't remember anyway.  But now that they are getting a bit older, I feel bad leaving 2 behind.  Reason I'm asking - We were thinking of taking a 3 day trip to a beach resort in Puerto Rico, but with a family of 6 we'd have to get 2 hotel rooms and airline tickets would cost more of course.  I know that whoever we leave would have a blast with my mom because every time they go it's like a vacation at her house and they don't want to return, but I still feel bad that we would be having fun without the whole family there together....that they would be missing out and would be mad at us or something.  Of course there will be other times in the future where whoever was left this time would get to go...we like to travel as much as possible.  What is your honest opinion?  Would it be horrible if we went with only 2 kids or is it not a big deal?

Replies

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    February 13, 2013 at 2:11 PM

oh rs i dont know if it would be horrible or not but i couldnt do it, knowing the others would be missing out with what we are doing! when we went on vacations or short trips we took everyone, of course all those trips were within the 48 states, so be much cheaper and we loved to camp!

when we went to maui(yearly) we saved all year long, looked for good deals, etc so we could take them all

now there were times when we just took off by ourselves dh and i! we left all the kids at home with friends !

i have friends who do that, and it works great!! the kids that are left love staying with relatives or friends, its like there own holiday!!

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    February 13, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I would never do it that way unless one of the children just didn't want to go on their own rather then me picking who went or who didn't.

• KrissyKC
    February 13, 2013 at 2:50 PM

We still squeeze six people into one hotel room.   I made it very clear that my kids were all 10 and under and I wasn't sleeping in a seperate room with them (when I booked it), and the motel accepted it and we moved on.   Some give a small extra person fee or something, but not all.

Also, what about travelling to places you can afford to take all of them.   We have hit campgrounds within a few hours drive and rented a sleeper cabin that fit 5-8 people at a little campsite, and we just enjoy our time together.

I wouldn't leave my kids behind either... not at this age.   Because what if something happens and you CAN'T do a second trip next time, then the other kids will really feel slighted.

Plus, you are paying double doing two seperate trips instead of just saving extra and going together.

In my humble opinion, if you can afford to take four, then you can afford to save more and take six.

• energygirl
    February 13, 2013 at 3:00 PM

I don't think it is horrible (but I wouldn't do it....would pick somewhere we could all do, and if possible share a hotel room, some hotels have suites that would be cheaper than 2 rooms....)  If you do go...I would plan a smaller trip for the other two that were left at the grandparents...maybe take them somewhere closer on a special trip later...so it is more like "taking turns" with grandma and with mom & Dad.  They don't realize how far away you are going, so it is just 2 different trips in their minds.  Would you consider leaving all 4 kids back behind?  Seems more fair than just 2 in a way as well, unless you plan a second trip...

• kirbymom
    February 13, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Not taking everyone isn't horrible or evil per se. It just kinda sucks, for everyone. Those going and those staying behind.

We have never gone anywhere that we couldn't take the entire family with us. That even includes hubby's business ventures too. 

• bether89
    February 14, 2013 at 12:59 AM

We have gone on some small camping trips for cubs scouts with my 9 yr old  that we left my youngest (3 at the time) with his grandparents.  I would not go a big family vacation without both boys though.

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 14, 2013 at 7:13 AM
    I wouldn't do it. Would you leave all the kids and just you and your hubby go?

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN