Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
aneela
Yay the mid year review was good 2/13
by aneela
February 13, 2013 at 2:00 PM

My son is in K and we had the mid year review with the Countypeople this morning. We are in Maryland.

It went really well and I even got to choose my own reward sticker for the reviewer's sheet. tee hee.

They look through your portfolio for samples of regular and continuous teaching in the 4 core areas and any electives.

Math, English, Social and Science are the 4 core.

I was a bit nervous but all was good.

I took in my digital cam to show pix of some of the field trips as well as PE stuff that we do at various places.

(We met face to face at the local library in one of the rooms set up for this. They do it over a few weeks so everyone in the county has a chance to come in and have the review done. Having the child present is optional).

Do you have mid year reviews with the county?

Or do you use an umbrella group?

or does your state not have any reviews?

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 14, 2013 at 7:10 AM
    In Ohio, we test or do a portfolio at the end of the year to be turned in to the school board at the beginning of the next school year.
  • aneela
    by aneela
    February 14, 2013 at 7:53 AM

or cool...so it's a choice of whether you let you child get tested (I'm guessing something with the county/state) OR hand in the work without testing?

Quoting mem82:

In Ohio, we test or do a portfolio at the end of the year to be turned in to the school board at the beginning of the next school year.

• aneela
    by aneela
    February 14, 2013 at 7:56 AM

cool...do you mind me asking how much it costs to be part of the umbrella group?

do you not do peer to peer reviews or any reviews at all?

Quoting bether89:

We use an umbrella group and do not have reviews at all.  I live in Alabama.

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 14, 2013 at 7:58 AM
    Basically, yep! The testing can be done by any one the test company certifies and the reviews can be done by any teacher. You only turn in the test results or the paper the portfolio teacher signs. The school never sees the actual work.

Quoting aneela:

or cool...so it's a choice of whether you let you child get tested (I'm guessing something with the county/state) OR hand in the work without testing?

Quoting mem82:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN