Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Boobah
Would you ever consider *not* homeschooling?
by Boobah
February 13, 2013 at 9:11 AM
What would entice you to send your kids to a school instead of homeschooling? Or would you ever? If so, what would the perfect scenario be for your choice of brick and mortar school?

Replies

• awilliams77
    February 15, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Nope. And I have been working full time for over 8 years now. None of our 4 have been to traditional school before college. Our youngest is 13 and thinks he may like to try high school, but I am not keen on the idea. His 3 older sisters are 17,20, and 22 and did just fine without high school. One is a employed as a licensed massage therapist, one is a nanny, and one is graduating from USC with a BA in Psychology this spring.If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

• Koltie6
    by Koltie6
    February 15, 2013 at 8:49 AM
    No!
  • lucsch
    by lucsch
    February 15, 2013 at 1:24 PM

My three sons went to a combination of public and private schools, and the youngest one is graduating this year. My dh is a public school principal. So, I'm not ignorant about the schools. I am becoming MORE convinced that I do not want my youngest, and only daughter, to EVER attend public school. Our society is changing, for the worse, and the education provided is changing. All these new standards, testing, push to educate earlier and earlier do not impress me at all.

So, we are looking to homeschool through high school.

• bren_darlene
    February 15, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Totally agree! Fourteen of our fifteen have graduated and none ever went to high school (nor college). All of our girls are stay at home/home educating moms and all 8 of our boys are grown (I have one daughter still at home) and working.  We have one that is a manager in the oil business (makes very good money) , and the rest are an engineer in oil field, a welder, one is in retail, two builds horse trailers, highway construction and one is a self employed carpenter/handyman.  Most important is that they can support their families and that they are happy :-)

Quoting awilliams77:

Nope. And I have been working full time for over 8 years now. None of our 4 have been to traditional school before college. Our youngest is 13 and thinks he may like to try high school, but I am not keen on the idea. His 3 older sisters are 17,20, and 22 and did just fine without high school. One is a employed as a licensed massage therapist, one is a nanny, and one is graduating from USC with a BA in Psychology this spring.If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

• KickButtMama
    February 15, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Huh, I home educated my last 2 years of Highschool as well, and never had a problem getting into college. But our town has a home-study Adult High School and so I got my diploma through them. But all my current research indicates of one has detailed transcripts, and if one takes some community college classes under dual enrollment (while they are technically still in high school, even home school) and if they score well on SAT's and entrance exams, then colleges are actively scouting homeschoolers. 

Quoting NoraDun:

I have considered it. I would send my child if I felt like I wasn't doing enough at home!! Otherwise I will send them once they hit the 9th grade. Just because I homeschooled my 11th and 12th grade year they colleges wouldn't except my homeschool deploma. So I will send them to school so they can graduate with a deploma, so they wont have the same issue!!

• KLove_Mom
    February 15, 2013 at 4:04 PM

A school that challenges kids to learn, uses innovative and hands-on teaching methods AND doesn't have lots of waisted time built into the schedule.

I'm a fan of school 2-3 days a week, and lots of outside work with the parents supervision. This obviously doesn't fit every family's lifestyle because of 2 working parents, but neither does homeschooling.

Our ps system has become too much about daycare. In our city there are days that they would take a half day or full day off, but the superintendent doesn't want the kids to miss their free breakfast and free lunch cause the parents might not feed them at home. WHAT? So they end up playing games and watching movies in "extra" time at school 5 days a week.

If the kids were only in school 2-3 days, or half days, there would only be time for learning, and the outside of school time would be ample for playing and extra-curriculars.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN