Homeschooling Moms

No_Difference
Chosing a Lang Arts/Lit program for next year HELP please!
February 13, 2013 at 9:05 AM

I made my own literature program this year, and although it has been going fine...we're having trouble staying on track and my daughter likes to think because I don't have a "teachers manual" infront of me that wasn't actually published (she didn't like the one I made for myself :( lol) that I have no idea what I'm talking about. Soooo...I've decided to give up on making up my own stuff and we'll stick with boxed sets.

We're using All About Spelling for spelling, and I've been using Spectrum for Language Arts but she's getting really bored with it and I'm tired of fighting her with it. I really want to keep using AAS, but she'll be going into 4th next yr and AAR doesn't have anything and I really want a literature program for her.

My neighbor had suggested Sonlight and I'd like some extra opinions on their Literature/Lan Arts curriculum. I'm adding a link so those that use it can tell me if I'm even looking at the right thing... http://www.sonlight.com/readers-4-5.html My neighbor mentioned that even though it is a Christian company, there really isn't much religion mixed in with this? (We're donig all secular subjects). She also said it'd be easy to take out spelling.  If the link I posted is right, I can see that being reasonably priced for what is all included. 

I had someone else mention Lifepac. So out of curiosity I go look and also see Monarch and SOS. Again I notice it is a Christian company...so my first question...how indepth relgious does this go? I don't want to be reading Bible passages or having it heavily influenced with the different thigns she'd be reading. Lifepac is just labeled as Language Arts so does it have a good Literature aspect to it? From the samples I could see it looked like it wouldn't clash with still using AAS and didn't seem too bad, and the price was half that of Sonlight...

Does anyone know of a really good secular Langauge Arts/Literature boxed set? I'm still looking at reviews online between all the different programs I mentioned too, I just thought I'd ask for your opinions as well :)

Thank you!

Replies

• KrissyKC
    February 13, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I am 100% sold on very traditional English.   We do Rod & Staff, and have for two years.   My kids DO have moments they don't want to do it, but once we actually get it out and start, they participate, answer questions, diagram sentences on our dry erase board, get excited when they test and test well, strive to get "A"'s on their work.   However, I don't do it 5 days a week.   We do it 3-4 days (schooling in the summer this year)...

In between that time, we have language arts things on the computer, cheaper L/A workbooks for when they feel like that, and a myriad of smaller stuff (like finish the story, journal, writing to friends who live further away, read alouds, books on CD, study guides that go with the books we are reading, spelling games and mad libs and other grammar games) etc etc etc..

• JuicyRedTomato
    February 13, 2013 at 9:36 AM

My friend uses SOS. Her kids love it, but they incorporate a strong Christian emphasis so I'm not sure how much of that comes from their planned curriculum.

• KrissyKC
    February 13, 2013 at 9:38 AM

What I didn't like about lifepac language arts...   my kids had very little retention for what they were learning and it really didn't feel like it taught "English"....

what I DID like about it...  it was convenient to take places.   The kids mostly enjoyed it because it was easy and colorful.

• Silverkitty
    February 13, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Mosdos is expensive but I've heard good things about it.

• No_Difference
    February 13, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Thank you :) I'll definitely look into it.

Quoting Silverkitty:

Mosdos is expensive but I've heard good things about it.

• No_Difference
    February 13, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I prefer traditional English too, but it's not working with my daughter and I really need her to read more so I wanted to incorporate a literature program where we weren't overkilling on English and writing since writing isn't her strong suit. Spectrum doesn't diagram sentences, but we've done it on our own, and quite frankly, she hated it so much it wasn't worth it. After 3 yrs now of us working on all the parts of speech, she has it down and I have her prewrite, edit, rough draft, edit, and draft and edit one more time before going onto a final copy for when we write stories. We go over run on sentences and compound sentences and all that, and of course puncuation... It's not so much the English aspect I'm worried about anymore, it's getting her to read different genres and know what they are, and understand what she's reading but still having an English influence there.....if that makes sense??? 
    With all our computer issues, I'm also still trying to veer away from the computer as much as I possibly can, and the majority of the literature unit I put together for the year is on the computer and we've skipped most of it because everything has been down. 
    Thank you for your input :)

Quoting KrissyKC:

I am 100% sold on very traditional English.   We do Rod & Staff, and have for two years.   My kids DO have moments they don't want to do it, but once we actually get it out and start, they participate, answer questions, diagram sentences on our dry erase board, get excited when they test and test well, strive to get "A"'s on their work.   However, I don't do it 5 days a week.   We do it 3-4 days (schooling in the summer this year)...

In between that time, we have language arts things on the computer, cheaper L/A workbooks for when they feel like that, and a myriad of smaller stuff (like finish the story, journal, writing to friends who live further away, read alouds, books on CD, study guides that go with the books we are reading, spelling games and mad libs and other grammar games) etc etc etc..

What I didn't like about lifepac language arts... my kids had very little retention for what they were learning and it really didn't feel like it taught "English"....

what I DID like about it... it was convenient to take places. The kids mostly enjoyed it because it was easy and colorful.

• KALmommy
    February 13, 2013 at 11:19 AM

We use Sonlight.  I guess if you are just doing the readers then yeah, you don't have a lot of religion involved.  If you use the History/Geography core though, it is based on Christianity.  You learn about many other religions and the Greek/Roman Gods but I think there is a decent amount of religion mixed in.  Again though, if you are only looking at the readers, you just read some really great books that you will probably remember from when you were a kid. I love reading with my kids because I get to reread all these great books!  The other thing about Sonlight...you don't HAVE to buy all the books.  We get a lot of them from the library or I buy them used off Amazon.  I just buy the Instructor's Guide and the Language Arts Student Activity Pages (which would make it a little over $50) and any books I absolutely cannot find anywhere else but it is rare that I can't get them from my library.  This is only if you are just doing the Readers though...

• No_Difference
    February 13, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Thank you.
    Is the readers just for their literature program?  I'm assuming their Lang Arts is just a teachers guide and workbook from what I can see on the website. 

Quoting KALmommy:

We use Sonlight.  I guess if you are just doing the readers then yeah, you don't have a lot of religion involved.  If you use the History/Geography core though, it is based on Christianity.  You learn about many other religions and the Greek/Roman Gods but I think there is a decent amount of religion mixed in.  Again though, if you are only looking at the readers, you just read some really great books that you will probably remember from when you were a kid. I love reading with my kids because I get to reread all these great books!  The other thing about Sonlight...you don't HAVE to buy all the books.  We get a lot of them from the library or I buy them used off Amazon.  I just buy the Instructor's Guide and the Language Arts Student Activity Pages (which would make it a little over $50) and any books I absolutely cannot find anywhere else but it is rare that I can't get them from my library.  This is only if you are just doing the Readers though...

• KALmommy
    February 13, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Yeah, the readers are the "literature" part of the curriculum.  Then language arts I always added myself.  We use Explode the Code, Wordly Wise, etc.  Their LA program also uses Wordly Wise but has a lot of copy work with I think is boring and doesn't necessarily teach my kids anything but how to copy sentences out of books (which they did mindlessly).  We use Spelling Workout for spelling as well.  I do like SL's literature curriculum though.  Great books and they have some great discussion questions to make sure your kiddo comprehended what he/she read. 

Quoting No_Difference:

Thank you.
    Is the readers just for their literature program?  I'm assuming their Lang Arts is just a teachers guide and workbook from what I can see on the website. 

Quoting KALmommy:

• AutymsMommy
    February 13, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I would recommend one of the following combos:

First Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind

Writing With Ease

Memoria Press Literature

*or*

Hake Grammar and Writing

Memoria Press Literature

Homeschooling Moms