Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
wunderwifey
homeschooling and marriage
February 13, 2013 at 7:21 AM

On DH's way to work this morning he heard a Family Life Today broadcast interviewing a woman who has written a book about homeschooling and its affect on marriages. She apparently saw an ad for a lawyer that specialized in homeschool divorces. This shocked her and she went researching and found out that divorce amongst homeschool families is higher than the national average. So she has written a book about keeping God First, Spouse Second, Kids Education third. Unfortunately, DH can't remember her name or the name of the book. I've looked on the website and can't find the transcript. I'm hoping it'll be up later today. But if anyone heard the broadcast can you please post her name and the name of the book.

Replies

• WantedNameTaken
    February 13, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I'd love to read this.  Sounds like good stuff!

• KickButtMama
    February 13, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I've never heard or read this statistic before...

• wunderwifey
    February 13, 2013 at 12:53 PM

It surprised me. I figured that marriages within HS'ing families would be stronger. I know one of the things that I love about our plans to HS is that with DHs crazy schedule we will actually be able to see him for more than an hour a day. I know that right now, I get to see him and spend a lot more one on one time with him that the girls don't via his days off when the kids are in school. But the kids need to see their dad too and HS is going to provide that.  I posted this hoping that someone knows what I'm talking about and we can look into it. I'm going to check out the link that another poster published.

Quoting KickButtMama:

I've never heard or read this statistic before...

• lovepotato
    February 13, 2013 at 1:07 PM
    There's a page on Facebook called Busy Homeschool Mom. She also has a website. Heidistjohn.com/blog. She talks about being girl, the one who your husband met. Its hard remembering that she's still in there. It is Christian based.
  • wunderwifey
    February 13, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I'm wondering if thats not it. She is talking this week about her book "Romance for the Homeschool Mom." just maybe..... Thanks.

Quoting lovepotato:

There's a page on Facebook called Busy Homeschool Mom. She also has a website. Heidistjohn.com/blog. She talks about being girl, the one who your husband met. Its hard remembering that she's still in there. It is Christian based.

• Pukalani79
    February 13, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I found this page the other day.  I really enjoy it

Quoting lovepotato:

• Pukalani79
    February 13, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I hadn't heard those statistics either.  I can see how placing all of your emphasis on your children can leave little room for your spouse, which can lead to dangerous territory.  As homeschoolers much of our attention is on our children, so it may be something to be aware of.  I know there are times when my husband and I feel like we're just ships passing in the night.  On particularly busy days I may not spend much time at home or see him much, which isn't good.  We need to be more than just parents - we need to be husband and wife as well. We are working on trying to set a date night at least once a month, preferably more. 

• wunderwifey
    February 13, 2013 at 2:01 PM
    This story gave me the idea of using the teens in the co-op as babysitters once a month so the parents can have a date night.

Quoting Pukalani79:

I hadn't heard those statistics either.  I can see how placing all of your emphasis on your children can leave little room for your spouse, which can lead to dangerous territory.  As homeschoolers much of our attention is on our children, so it may be something to be aware of.  I know there are times when my husband and I feel like we're just ships passing in the night.  On particularly busy days I may not spend much time at home or see him much, which isn't good.  We need to be more than just parents - we need to be husband and wife as well. We are working on trying to set a date night at least once a month, preferably more. 

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    February 13, 2013 at 2:29 PM
    Shoot, I think it has made my marriage - my entire family - stronger :)

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts