Homeschooling Moms

CFSMomma
Transferring to Public School
February 12, 2013 at 9:36 PM

DD (6 y/o) attended public school for kindergarten, then we transferred her to "cyber-school" for first grade.  We received notice today that she has been removed from the program (I wasn't able to sit next to her in front of a computer for 6 hours a day, 5 days a week, like they required~ALL of her lessons were solely online).  My question is, if I buy a curriculum for the rest of this school year and homeschool her myself, will she be allowed to attend second grade next year at a public school?  Will she have to take a placement test?  I plan on calling the principal at the public school tomorrow; I'd just like to get an idea of what to expect first...

Replies

• kirbymom
    February 12, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Hi. Welcome to the group!  :)

I don't know for positive fact, but I don't see why your daughter couldn't go to second grade public school. They may even require some of your paper work to see what she has been doing and where she has been as far as subjects go and to see how much she has learned. It would just depend on the school and the officials of that school. 

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    February 13, 2013 at 10:49 AM

hi cfs!

i dont know either, but maybe while your hsing her the rest of the year , you'll want to do it the next year???

• Kerseygeek
    February 14, 2013 at 8:59 AM
    If by age she should be in 2nd grade next year then there should be no problem.
  • blueyedbaker
    February 14, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I would think that the school would want to test her to make sure she can be put right into 2nd grade. I'd call the curriculum director and see what she/he says. Or call the school and tell them the situation and ask who you should talk to to figure out what to do. That will take the guess work out of it for you and you won't worry so much.

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 14, 2013 at 12:31 PM
    Any update?
  • Jinx-Troublex3
    February 14, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Here, they will just put them in the grade they should be in by age. there is no entrance exam or placement testing unless you are trying to skip them to a higher level.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts