Homeschooling Moms

rsrangel
Saving your child from embarrassment
February 12, 2013 at 5:48 PM

So....your child wants to play a sport.  You allow them to play but they have zero talent in this sport and actually look pretty silly out on the court.  Of course you don't want to say this to him!  But you know his peers will (and so far he doesn't seem to care what they say and is having fun).  Would you pull them out of the sport and try to redirect them to something that you know would better suit them (to protect them from the embarrassment of their peers)?  Or would you let them just live and learn?  I know they can't be protected from everything, but I know what it's like to be picked on and I don't want him to feel like I did.  Being a parent is tough sometimes!!!

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    February 12, 2013 at 5:53 PM

If he is having fun, let him keep at it.  Maybe he'll improve or it'll give him a better respect for the sport. 

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 12, 2013 at 5:55 PM
    I agree. Pulling him out would indicate to him that you care about what others think of him. I would try to interest him in something else when the season is over.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

If he is having fun, let him keep at it.  Maybe he'll improve or it'll give him a better respect for the sport. 

• bluerooffarm
    February 12, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Good point!  I hadn't even thought about that!

Quoting mem82:

I agree. Pulling him out would indicate to him that you care about what others think of him. I would try to interest him in something else when the season is over.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• somuchlove4U
    February 12, 2013 at 6:04 PM
    I agree with the others. As long as he is having fun and not worried about the other kids, why worry?
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    February 12, 2013 at 6:11 PM
    I am in agreement with the others too.
  • kirbymom
    February 12, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Absolutely.  I agree with this too.  :)

Quoting mem82:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• rsrangel
    February 12, 2013 at 6:44 PM
    I never thought about it that way. Thank you!

Quoting mem82:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    February 12, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Sports is not about how good you are.  It is about how much you love the game.  When I started at karate I wanted to quit.  I went to my instructor and told her I was so confused.  She looked me in the eye and smiled and told me that I was a white belt and that I am supposed to be confused.  She was so right.  I love taking karate.  My confidance and skill has grown so much.  Confidence comes from doing difficult things and not from doing things that come easy.  I would never pull my child from anything.  I have allowed my child to stop doing something because they no longer enjoyed it but that is different.  I will always encourage the things they love.

• PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    February 12, 2013 at 9:25 PM

No, as long as they want to continue doing it, they can.  :)

• wunderwifey
    February 13, 2013 at 7:40 AM

I'm with them.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts